Cleaning out a laptop...

Saint_Jonny

Ello,

Had my current laptop for about 8 months or so now. I use it alot being a smelly student, its fairly powerful, use it for 3d modelling and animation so the CPU gets a heavy workout on a daily basis. Over the last few weeks the temperature of the comp as skyrocketed, and the fan can barely be felt when you hover your hand over the outlet. Im guessing its sucked up an unhealthy amount of dust. Has anyone on here taken apart a laptop and found there to be a **** load of dust inside? Is it worth me risking taking it apart and giving it a clean?

If it were a desktop I wouldnt hesitate as ive built several, but this is expensive and....different. The laptop is already propped up on a few books but its not helping, the running temp has risen from 60c to 90c in 3 weeks. HELP!

That would probably work if the fan ports were a meaningful size. But its HP so they arent good enough really. I love the performence of the thing but the cooling has be shocking from day one. Might have another crack at taking the back off. Had a go once before but bottled it when I saw the pile of screws that were mounting up, and nothing was coming loose...

As Stevo stays - get the compressed air and give it a blast - you don't need to put it inside the vents - it should do its job from outside. I have taken apart my wifes HP and blown all the crap out with no issues. Google the model for instructions on accessing the heat sink