Homebrew

tombletomble

Does anyone on here make any of there own booze?

I have been making my own beer for about 3 years. I think I am getting quite good now.

I currently have a Hoegaarden clone that I am very happy with and a Porter which although its very nice, at about 9.5%, it's a little strong for afternoon drinking.

I have also decided to give wine a go. I put 2 gallons of apple wine in to demijohns this afternoon. It's just a shame it takes to long (9 months, maybe more) until it ready.

Does anyone have any interesting experiences, recipes to share?

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

I would appreciate a recipe for cider, if anyone has one as I have a tree full of fruit which is no use to anyone for cooking or eating.

I've been thinking of trying to make some HomeBrew.

Have you got any decent links to some online guides? What do I need and is it exepensive to get the equipment?

A Hoegaarden Clone sounds good.

It's really not that hard to do and well worth the effort.

I would recommend making a kit first just to get an understanding of the basics.

All you need is a large (25l) fermenting bucket, some tubing for siphoning and something to store the finished beer in. I have plastic kegs but you could also use bottles. If using bottles they have to be ale bottle to ensure they can cope with the pressure.

http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/ is very good for getting equipment/kits. Feel free to ask anymore questions. I am happy to help

It's really not that hard to do and well worth the effort.

I would recommend making a kit first just to get an understanding of the basics.

All you need is a large (25l) fermenting bucket, some tubing for siphoning and something to store the finished beer in. I have plastic kegs but you could also use bottles. If using bottles they have to be ale bottle to ensure they can cope with the pressure.

http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/ is very good for getting equipment/kits. Feel free to ask anymore questions. I am happy to help

Sounds good. I always get a bit put off by assumptions that people know what demi-johns, campden pills and various other bits of kit are! I don't!

Does anyone on here make any of there own booze?

I have been making my own beer for about 3 years. I think I am getting quite good now.

I currently have a Hoegaarden clone that I am very happy with and a Porter which although its very nice, at about 9.5%, it's a little strong for afternoon drinking.

I have also decided to give wine a go. I put 2 gallons of apple wine in to demijohns this afternoon. It's just a shame it takes to long (9 months, maybe more) until it ready.

Does anyone have any interesting experiences, recipes to share?

Wouldn't mind trying that!

Had moderate success setting up our spare room into a 'brewing room' last year at uni.

The problem we had was controlling the temperature, but I'm sure there are more sophisticated ways of doing this other than turning a fan on when it got too hot.

First batch: Bit rubbish, cloudy, too strong.

Second batch: Tried to rip off London Pride, made it too watery

Third Batch: Rip off of Hog's Back TEA... worked a treat. Tasted pretty close to it, and we used stuff called Irish Moss which apparently helps the cloudiness disappear! Seemed to do the trick.

Looking forward to setting it up again next year.

• 1 month later...

I've just bottled my first batch of wine. After a recommendation from someone queuing behind me at my local homebrew shop I decided to give a red wine kit a go. £10 for 6 bottles. Not had a proper test yet, it's a little early for wine, but the little I got in my mouth from siphoning didn't taste too bad at all.

Quite looking forward to opening a bottle later.

I love cheap booze.