HTC Desire S

Johnny Shearer

I have just upgraded to this phone. Anyone else got one?

Battery has heated up quickly and the phone has cut me off whilst I'm calling someone.

Also battery life is a few hours and I have switched off all the 'live' updates etc.

Anyone else having similar problems or is it just a continuation of soem Desire issues?

Let us know how you get on. I am due for an upgrade soon and really fancied a Desire S.

Had a further look at forums and reviews for the Desire S and asked a work colleague about their battery.

Her's did not overheat therefore I've asked for an exchange as I think I may have had a dodgy battery. Wanted to switch to the Google Nexus S (as last week I was offered this or the Desire) but Vodafone weren't having any it of it this time round.

Quite tempted to phone back and opt out of the contract as I can still do that.

However - played around with the Desire and switched off most of the 'live' syncing ie. the weather, facebook and dimmed the screen as this was the main source of killing the battery.

Battery seems better for it. Also read that batteries take a couple of charging cycles to get up to speed, so shall stick it out with the Desire.

Whats the point of having a smart phone if its gonna die on you hey.

Use wise I would say the following:

The screen is 3.7 inches and very responsive to touch. I'd say just as responsive as the iPhone 4 maybe more so.

Is made using Gorilla Glass (ultra tough supposedly but I'm not gonna test that out!)

Andriod apps of course, need to get tapatalk for Saintsweb forum and Swype (for writing text/emails etc. Works by analysing your messages and does a word prediction thing and it does make a difference compared to writing normally).

The vodafone rep said the Desire only comes with internal storage however I believe HTC already include an 8gb micro SD card in the handset (this was the case with mine).

Nice sturdy body and a decent weight.

I know all these super fancy phones are gonna come out in the summer with dual processors and 3D abilities but I think the Desire/Nexus S etc should tide people over for awhile yet.

I could mine exchanged and the new one's battery doesnt overheat!

2 days use out of it although the first day it was used solely as a phone and not messed around with!

Definitely getting a case and screen protector too. Dont want to see the aluminium body scratched!

Miserable - have you had a good play around with it?