Desire Sim Card Problem

Jeff Le Taxi

Hi all, was offered a brand new boxed desire today for a too good to be true price (£175) my greed and curiosity soon overtook any reservations i had so had a tinker.

Looked like it was a sim free and not network locked as there was no branding on the phone or the box.

Switched the phone on and noticed there was no tutorial so guess it had already been done!

The first sim card i tried was an old Vodafone one found in the drawer, this one gave the error 'sim card full' which i googled and found out the sim was probably older type and not a 3g one, tried a Tesco mobileand got the same error, then tried my partners Vodafone contract sim and got the error 'Limited Connectivity' and then there was no service and '999 calls only' error, tried my GiffGaff sim and got the same results!

Does this mean the phone hasnt been unlocked or is network blocked (by at least three networks!) or is it something simple and i have missed the bargain of a lifetime!

Sounds like its been sim locked to that particular network.

I work for a phone shop and our phones are unlocked.

However the prices of the phones are quite a lot lower if you buy them on a network and pay the top-up charge for credit on that sim than by buying it at the unlocked no sim price.

Because of this if we suspect that a customer is buying the phone at the lower price just to ship it abroad where the phone costs are higher (box-breaking) then as part of then we will go into the settings and put a code lock onto the phone so that it will only work with that sim.