Question re part exchange

Sherminator

I'll shortly be replacing my horrible Renault Scenic with a similar sized car from anyone other than Renault!

Obviously I want to get as much from the dealer for the Scenic as possible. Problem is that there is a fault (fault with dephaser and cam shaft sensor) with car which whilst it is still operational and roadworthy will need fixing at some stage in the relatively near future. Renault have quoted me £1,300 for the work. I'll get it done privately, but it will still be a substantial ammount.

Question is am I likely to get a better deal if I fix the fault before trading the car. Or should I take the car to the dealer with the fault, get less for for the part-ex, but save on the repair bill?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'll shortly be replacing my horrible Renault Scenic with a similar sized car from anyone other than Renault!

Obviously I want to get as much from the dealer for the Scenic as possible. Problem is that there is a fault (fault with dephaser and cam shaft sensor) with car which whilst it is still operational and roadworthy will need fixing at some stage in the relatively near future. Renault have quoted me £1,300 for the work. I'll get it done privately, but it will still be a substantial ammount.

Question is am I likely to get a better deal if I fix the fault before trading the car. Or should I take the car to the dealer with the fault, get less for for the part-ex, but save on the repair bill?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sell your car privately and get a "no part exchange" discount from the dealer, you win twice that way!

They won't even look at it when you part exchange it. Every time I have part exchanged a car they look at the bodywork and that's it. If you sell privately, to not tell the purchaser of the fault would be completely out of order.

If you PX it at a Renault dealership they won't be at all bothered by it. Obviously, if you don't want another Renault that only leaves you any second hand stuff they have or, as most Renault dealers seem to sell them as well, an MG.

• 2 weeks later...