Improving wifi signal

dune

I'm far from am expert but can speak from experience if that's any help.

The more users the smaller your share of the bandwidth.

If you've got a playstation, Wii etc using WiFi, you will suffer badly.

Even stud walls effect the signal strength, clear view of router = best signal. The wall thickness may be 20cm but that increases as the angle between pc and router increase, six, no good at geometry or is do the math but basically keep to right angles.

You CAN give your pc priority or even allocate a bigger share but its complex process.

Old houses are the worst for signal strength.cos they are built properly.

saint_stevo is your man.

That all woooshed straight over my head.

Wireless "a" "b"& "g" (802.11a or b or g) broadcasts on the 2.4MHz wavelength.

"n" (802.11n) broadcasts on 2.4 and 5MHz.

Many other devices use 2.4MHz, such as cordless phones, baby monitor alarms, etc. etc. and these all do disrupt the signal. So you get much better reception using 802.11n (needs to be on both the wireless router and on the laptop. We've got a cordless phone, but if we use it, it kills the WiFi network in the house, so it's switched off.

A repeater is like another wireless router, set in repeater mode. It picks up the signal, and re-broadcasts it, so you can put it halfway between your router and where you want to receive the signal. I've been told that using a repeater halves the available bandwidth, but it's better than nothing.

Edited by hutch

• 3 weeks later...
Wireless "a" "b"& "g" (802.11a or b or g) broadcasts on the 2.4MHz wavelength.

"n" (802.11n) broadcasts on 2.4 and 5MHz.

Many other devices use 2.4MHz, such as cordless phones, baby monitor alarms, etc. etc. and these all do disrupt the signal. So you get much better reception using 802.11n (needs to be on both the wireless router and on the laptop. We've got a cordless phone, but if we use it, it kills the WiFi network in the house, so it's switched off.

A repeater is like another wireless router, set in repeater mode. It picks up the signal, and re-broadcasts it, so you can put it halfway between your router and where you want to receive the signal. I've been told that using a repeater halves the available bandwidth, but it's better than nothing.

A couple of things:

802.11a also broadcasts on 5Ghz.

Secondly, unless you have a VERY old phone, it won't be on the 2.4Ghz frequency and therefore won't interfere. All DECT phones use different frequencies to WIFI.

Lastly, the easiest and most efficient way to get a better signal is to make sure you're on the best WIFI channel for your area. If you go into your router config, you can usually see what channel other networks are on, ideally you want to be on your own channel with as much space between you and the next network.

• 2 weeks later...

Most routers tend to be set to channel 1 or 11 so it may be worth trying to find the least used channel in the vicinity. When helping friends I use the free Wifi Analyser app on my android phone that gives a nice representation of what channels are being used.