MacBook Phishing virus

swannymere

Just to let anybody out there with an Apple MacBook that their is a phishing virus out there at the moment which managed to get onto my MacBook and give out details of my mobile and banking accounts, they then ordered a new SIM card for my phone and when they received that they went about trying to get cash from my current account.

When the transaction raised a query with my bank, they tried to phone me but got through to the scammers who tried to authorise the transaction but couldn't answer the security question (i deliberately choose a different one for each account with financial issues) and my bank shut down my access to the funds.

Unfortunately i was on holiday in Australia at the time and it made life a bit of a pain in the arse, i phoned my bank after being refused access to my online banking which was straightforward, but they insisted i contact my phone provider to sort out the problem at that end before allowing me access to my accounts (annoying but fair enough).

This is where all the problems started, the phone numbers on the website wouldn't work from abroad and despite digging around the net i couldn't find an alternative number that would help. I then emailed them which took 2/3 days to get a response which asked me to ring the number on the website (despite me telling them in the email i couldn't get through) and then to use the virtual help systems on their website (oh, because i hadn't tried that!) In the end i posted on the Lounge forum and somebody found me a number which worked and the problem was sorted very quickly.

So, if you're using an Apple product then check it now, and if going abroad check the numbers for your banking and phone help actually work.

I know but alot of people i've spoken to seem to be under the impression that anything Apple related can't be hacked, phished or have a virus, just letting them know otherwise

By singling out a Mac? Phishing is human error, nothing to do with the machine you're on.

Just to let anybody out there with an Apple MacBook that their is a phishing virus out there at the moment which managed to get onto my MacBook and give out details of my mobile and banking accounts, they then ordered a new SIM card for my phone and when they received that they went about trying to get cash from my current account.

When the transaction raised a query with my bank, they tried to phone me but got through to the scammers who tried to authorise the transaction but couldn't answer the security question (i deliberately choose a different one for each account with financial issues) and my bank shut down my access to the funds.

Unfortunately i was on holiday in Australia at the time and it made life a bit of a pain in the arse, i phoned my bank after being refused access to my online banking which was straightforward, but they insisted i contact my phone provider to sort out the problem at that end before allowing me access to my accounts (annoying but fair enough).

This is where all the problems started, the phone numbers on the website wouldn't work from abroad and despite digging around the net i couldn't find an alternative number that would help. I then emailed them which took 2/3 days to get a response which asked me to ring the number on the website (despite me telling them in the email i couldn't get through) and then to use the virtual help systems on their website (oh, because i hadn't tried that!) In the end i posted on the Lounge forum and somebody found me a number which worked and the problem was sorted very quickly.

So, if you're using an Apple product then check it now, and if going abroad check the numbers for your banking and phone help actually work.

5d6148ce-4cce-17aa.jpg

5d6148ce-4d7d-fde1.jpg

Saying the macbook was at fault is a little like saying your car which should never crash, did, because you were stupid enough to drive it the wrong way down a one way street at 50mph.

Even the title of this thread contains 3 unrelated words. You were phished, therefore the Macbook part is irrelevant and so is the Virus part.

Excellent, thanks for the helpful advice. Next time try reading the post before spouting off, i wasn't blaming Apple or their products for the problem, just trying to share my experience which may help other people to avoid the same problems. Unlike yourselves i'm not computer literate and don't spend my life getting excited about the latest technology stuff, maybe i was being naive in expecting any helpful critique from two people who quite obviously are perfect :rolleyes:

Oh, Baj and chance of a response to my message sent to the admin. over a month ago about becoming a member without getting charged twice (like last time) or having a automatic renwal? Maybe you should get on with the business of running the site rather than being 'helpful'?

Excellent, thanks for the helpful advice. Next time try reading the post before spouting off, i wasn't blaming Apple or their products for the problem, just trying to share my experience which may help other people to avoid the same problems. Unlike yourselves i'm not computer literate and don't spend my life getting excited about the latest technology stuff, maybe i was being naive in expecting any helpful critique from two people who quite obviously are perfect :rolleyes:

Oh, Baj and chance of a response to my message sent to the admin. over a month ago about becoming a member without getting charged twice (like last time) or having a automatic renwal? Maybe you should get on with the business of running the site rather than being 'helpful'?

You weren't blaming apple or their products, but put MacBook phishing virus in the title, and implied in your second post that it was related to you using apple?

Anyway, regardless, you've been phished and there's nothing you can do other than cancel any cards or change passwords related to your account(s). I would highly recommend reading some articles online about how to spot fake emails and avoid being duped in future, we've all been had at some point or another, I was phished by a fake eBay email.

I'm sorry if you thought I wasn't being particularly helpful, but in fact your posts were more harm than good, since the phish had nothing to do with your MacBook it's very much worth pointing this out to those reading the thread, who like me, assumed it was about a mac virus!!

With regards to your subscription, have your tried emailing subscriptions@saintsweb.co.uk which should be the email address you've always received subscription information. Steve grant takes care of subscriptions and monitors that email address daily. No one uses the admin account.