Reading away ticket details - Sold Out

Saint Garrett

I can if I want sit next to my Reading supporting wife...using her son's ticket. I hadn't planned on doing this but I am thinking about this now that Nigel is their manager.

There is an awful lot of snobbery on here about Reading fans, most of whichgiven that I know loads of them is complete tosh.

Fact is all clubs continually attract fans otherwise they would all go bust....in 1966 I wanted to see what the fuss was about and got to the Dell and was an ever present (Saturday job permitting) for years until Uni 12 years later..in 2006 my wife's daughter was given free tickets and my wife took he along and they both got hooked. They now go to games home and away and are as committed as anyone on here. I know loads like them who have joined in a similar fashion. It starts as a family day out and then it changes.

With respect, I have worked in Reading and lived very close to Reading for some years, so I know loads too and I have a different view. This is not really about how some supporters "join" a club in the way you describe - there is no problem at all with that - the issue is that a significant number of Reading "fans" treat the club as their second team. Call it proximity to London or down to a lack of successful history (relatively), your guess is as good as mine, but many supporters really follow Chelsea, Spurs or Arsenal, with a few for Fulham and QPR too, but either can't get, or won't get, tickets, or won't travel, so they roll up at Reading to see a game.

The numbers that just roll up increase when Reading are doing better, specifically if there is a chance to see bigger visiting teams, or better still, their preferred first team. Ok you may say thats what happens at St Mary's but the difference is, some Saints fan pick and choose which games to go to, and naturally choose the bigger matches. Some people who sit in the home stands at Reading are ONLY there to see the opposition, or just a game generally, and don't have any sort of passion for Reading.

Lots of Reading fans are just like any other club and follow them from the heart, through thick and thin etc etc. But a healthy number of them don't give a monkeys. These are the plastics referred to by others on this thread and I have met quite a few.

Edited by Bucks Saint

It is possible that we are in a different demographic but I haven't met a single so called plastic fan, there are a few fans in the office, lots and lots in Tadley where my son still lives, none could be describes as plastic.

I was struck at the number of empty seats at the Majeski on the few times I had been there and I know that a sizable proportion of people bought seats to make sure that they had access to premier football matches in the manner in which you describe. These are not fans, I guess they are opportunists. Obviously this disappoints the proper Reading fans too. I don't think it's right to mix the two sets of supporters up.

One last thing, my son and I did not miss a game even in the days of Lloyd James and co...what happened to the 12000 to 14000 so called fans we had in the Premier who didn't watch the Saints on occasions post relegation....I know that the attendances picked up but the stadium looked a sorry state with 4 corners closed etc. Could it be taht we have our own plastic fans too.

My wife will take her kids to Arsenal this weekend.....to cheer Reading on. I can't knock it...there's nothing plastic about it, just dedication and passion.

Ok so they might be called opportunists instead but it looks like we agree there are a sizeable number of them. Fair point that the genuine Reading fans don't like them either, that makes sense.

The drop off in Saints attendances is not really related. All clubs that get relegated, especially after a long period in a higher division, see a fall in attendances. Ticket prices rarely go down and for many, they cant justify the cost when the team is in real decline, the entertainment is poor and the opposition uninspiring. I wasn't one of them but I can understand it. When the atmosphere and spirit lifted, thanks to Markus, numbers went back up and we had among the best attendances of any club in L1 bar Norwich and City. But I digress.

The reference to your wife is also unrelated. If you support Reading, go to Arsenal this weekend, perfectly natural thing to do for a passionate supporter.

The opportunists, as you call them, support other teams. Reading are secondary, at best, and there is no passion in evidence

With respect, I have worked in Reading and lived very close to Reading for some years, so I know loads too and I have a different view. This is not really about how some supporters "join" a club in the way you describe - there is no problem at all with that - the issue is that a significant number of Reading "fans" treat the club as their second team. Call it proximity to London or down to a lack of successful history (relatively), your guess is as good as mine, but many supporters really follow Chelsea, Spurs or Arsenal, with a few for Fulham and QPR too, but either can't get, or won't get, tickets, or won't travel, so they roll up at Reading to see a game.

The numbers that just roll up increase when Reading are doing better, specifically if there is a chance to see bigger visiting teams, or better still, their preferred first team. Ok you may say thats what happens at St Mary's but the difference is, some Saints fan pick and choose which games to go to, and naturally choose the bigger matches. Some people who sit in the home stands at Reading are ONLY there to see the opposition, or just a game generally, and don't have any sort of passion for Reading.

Lots of Reading fans are just like any other club and follow them from the heart, through thick and thin etc etc. But a healthy number of them don't give a monkeys. These are the plastics referred to by others on this thread and I have met quite a few.

That's my experience of Reading fans too. The only 'genuine' Reading fan I've ever met was a lad at Uni who funnily enough lived in Winchester. I guess this might change over the next generation or two though if they managed to establish themselves regularly in the top flight.

just look at the pitiful numbers Reading take away , they're core support is small. they didn't get close to selling out at st Mary's this season.

I went to unI there and went to the odd game when saints weren't playing , Reading were in league one and get crowds of 8k.

there is very little identity with the club in the town you're more likely to see a chelsea shirt