Selling a car - 1st time!

maddog

As above, if they don't have insurance or full payment then no test drives. Don't leave anyone alone with the car or keys. Highlight any problems, it makes you appear honest. If taking cash then check all the notes and count carefully, if at all possible get a bank transfer (unless its under a grand). Good luck.

So with the insurance, should i be expecting people to turn up with a piece of paper saying they are insured to drive any car?? Also with the test drive i take it i should go along with them?

You'd be very foolish not to.

As for insurance I think people usually take the buyer's word for it, if you want proof ask them to bring proof.

Also as soon as you've sold the car inform the DVLA immediately because if you don't you're still liable for the car tax.

Dig out any car related receipt for services etc as people like to check these over (I certainly do)

Make sure it is sparkling inside & out, & pretty much what the other guys have said about test drives / cash payments.

Go careful as you are likely to receive calls from people claiming to have buyers for your car lined up for a fixed fee, this is utter garbage & it is a con.