Second Hand Macbook

Jeff Le Taxi

not much in that price bracket but basically as new as you can get really. Mac Book Air are the cheapest but limited HDD space. However if she wants to just do it for email, web and facebook and such like then get an iPad. I have one and barley touch my Mac now.

The 2010 Mac Book plastic machines are good and will run the latest software.

You *might* be lucky enough to get an old white unibody MacBook for £300ish; but, won't get a decent more recent aluminium unibody version for anywhere near that.

There's a reason they keep their value: The build quality is way better than any comparable Windows laptop; they suffer very little slow down from bloatware, no viruses, and they 'just work'.

If it's for school/college/Uni work and you want your daughter to be productive on it, instead of spending half her time getting stressed with virus protection, pop ups, conflicts, slow downs and other Windows-related issues, which would adversely affect and hinder her education: Leave your own Apple prejudices aside and do the right thing.

I have a Late 2008 Aluminium Unibody, 2GHz Intel Core Duo, 2GB 1067MHz DDR3 RAM, 160GB HD MacBook that has had very little use since I purchased my iPad some time ago. I have thought about selling it; as I also have a MacMini, it's virtually redundant. If you want to spend more than £200-300 I on a pristine MacBook that will last: Do some price research and make me an offer.

• 4 weeks later...
How about Powerbook g4? these seem to be around the £150 mark, is there a reason for this? ie theyre crap?

The G4 was released in 2001 and discontinued in (I think) 2006. So they could be anywhere between 8-12yrs old. They were great machines in their day and, once reformatted and the OS reinstalled, will do a decent job still. The latest OS it will run will probably be 10.4 Tiger or 10.5 Leopard (which are perfectly good operating systems, by the way - but some newer browser plug-ins or programs may not work); I doubt it will run 10.6 or above.

A late version in good condition will do a better job of most things than a new Windows laptop costing two or three times as much.

The G4 is probably going to get a child laughed at at school or college these days though, unfortunately!!

If the original poster is looking for balanced advice, somebody ought to point out that the 160GB HDD mentioned earlier is pitifully small these days. If you don't need a proper HDD (>500GB) then you might as well go for a tablet.

She doesnt want a tablet, unfortunately, it has to be a laptop, and most apple products seem to be hideously expensive for what you get?

Cant talk her into Windows laptops, seems to prefer style over substance!

She's one of four children, the eldest actually and is a good kid apart from the apple obsession.. thing is its her 15th birthday a few days before Christmas, hence the budget of £200/300, it might not seem much of a budget to some of you, but it is what it is and im just trying to see whats the best we can get her inside that budget.

To get more of an idea what she's like, we recently got her and her sister second hand iphone fours and both were grateful, not sure if thats because they dont know of the 4s or iphone5 or they're just good kids, hope its the latter but suspect its the former!

If the original poster is looking for balanced advice, somebody ought to point out that the 160GB HDD mentioned earlier is pitifully small these days. If you don't need a proper HDD (>500GB) then you might as well go for a tablet.

Which tablet computer with 160-499GB HDD would you suggest?

She doesnt want a tablet, unfortunately, it has to be a laptop, and most apple products seem to be hideously expensive for what you get?

Cant talk her into Windows laptops, seems to prefer style over substance!

She's one of four children, the eldest actually and is a good kid apart from the apple obsession.. thing is its her 15th birthday a few days before Christmas, hence the budget of £200/300, it might not seem much of a budget to some of you, but it is what it is and im just trying to see whats the best we can get her inside that budget.

To get more of an idea what she's like, we recently got her and her sister second hand iphone fours and both were grateful, not sure if thats because they dont know of the 4s or iphone5 or they're just good kids, hope its the latter but suspect its the former!

There are the plastic mac books on Gumtree right now in Southampton. In fact there is a 2010 macbook for 300.

• 2 weeks later...

Chrome books are the future, if your not paying games or running Photoshop you don't need anything more. I have a Windows desktop and laptop but for most day to day stuff I pick up the chromebook. And for £200 it's the best value fir money pc I've ever had. only real draw back for her is no itunes, as Apple still don't have a web/html5 service for it. What's she currently syncing her phone from?