Want to drink and drive ?

Saint in Paradise

Come to Rotorua NZ then. I despair with the local Judges, :mcinnes: what the cops think

I suspect can't be printed. They go to all of this trouble:-

Police are warning Rotorua motorists to think twice before drinking and driving this Labour Weekend, especially on

rural roads where most drink-driving fatalities occur.

Rotorua district road police will be highly visible breath testing drivers and enforcing holiday period speed limits this weekend.

Two Court case results from this week alone:-

A Waikite Valley woman on her fifth drink-driving charge has been sentenced to home detention.

Alissha Arahanga, 36, was sentenced in the Rotorua District Court this week to three months' home

detention after previously pleading guilty to one charge of drink-driving and one charge of driving while disqualified.

Judge James Weir said in all instances, apart from her first conviction, Arahanga had been more than twice the legal limit.

Defence lawyer Dafydd Malcolm said Arahanga had shown sincere remorse. ( WOW!! Big deal I wonder if it was because

she had been caught yet again ? )

Then this case,

A self-confessed alcoholic on her ninth drink-driving charge asked a Rotorua judge to send her to jail.

Fiona Johnson, 43, got her wish yesterday when she was sentenced to 12 months' imprisonment,

after earlier admitting drink-driving and driving while disqualified.

Johnson had eight previous drink-driving and 11 previous driving while disqualified convictions.

Just found this from last month, I suppose it's a bit better but as we all know the sentence is never fully served.

A Rotorua judge has jailed two repeat drink drivers for 18 months each - telling one that at least behind bars he

couldn't kill anyone by driving drunk.

Mark Malone Toetoe, 44, and Raymond Tumarae Te Papa, 53, appeared separately in the Rotorua District Court on

Monday, both having pleaded guilty to driving with excess breath alcohol. It was Toetoe's eighth drink-driving conviction

and Te Papa's seventh. They were both also indefinitely disqualified from driving. ( This never seems to stop people

they still get caught driving without a licence )

Edited by Saint in Paradise