Is Itchen North better than The Northam

Stevie61163

Positive, ta ☺

Sounded crap from where we were, ten seats and an aisle away. Couple of people asked wtf they were singing. Doesn't sound that great on the video either.

You're still saying that what they were singing contained no words?

You're still saying that what they were singing contained no words?

Until you pointed it out and told us how simple we all were, I didn't realise it had any bar "Manchester United". Fair play. You've found a video of your beloved Manchester United fans and the chap nearest the phone sounded vaguely coherent.

But yeah, for clarity. I acknowledge it contains words. I acknowledge you can hear those words being sung by your beloved and complex Manchester United fans on a phone held a foot feet away from one of them.

From where we were stood in the Itchen, the song your beloved, complex and inventive Manchester United fans were singing sounded like sludge. I hope this post is clearer than they were.

From what I can tell they might sing a lot but most of it is pretty cringeworthy.

1. Who the **** is Pochetino - who gives a ****, he's nothing to do with us, you make us look bitter and small time

2. We are Southampton we sing when we want - in response to away fans taking the **** out of us being quiet, do i need to say more

3. Oh When The Saints - sounds good wish we had another song as well though

4. some others that involve taking the **** out of away fans which is ok in moderation, not constantly though

What we need is an anthem, something the whole crowd can get to know and sing round the ground, something like, dare i say it the scousers singing you'll never walk alone, something where the team hears it and it gives them an extra stride, something the away team can be in awe of, making them disappear back into their shells when they hear all 4 sides singing it. Something that we become known for, doesn't have to be particularly about Southampton, just a rousing song that becomes associated with us.

Come on then clever fellas, any ideas as I'm far too thick to think of anything

Something like this

I used to be the sort of fan that supported according to my underlying principles, which is essentially to honour the choices I've made in life, like living in the north or not getting involved with petty regionalism when we're not playing Portsmouth. I'd sheepishly go silent during "southerners" or anti-Northern songs and wouldn't really involve myself with the Pompey stuff either.

Itchen North changed me. Outside of the ground, I'm still a nice person; I gave a quid to a begging Pompey fan at London Bridge station, which was lovely and all that. I'm not about to swap the long locks for a crew-cut or the Guns N Roses tees for River Island and fisticuffs with the opposing fans, but I am a mindlessly tribal c**t after I've taken my seat.

Millbrook Saint made a point about the wind-ups, a huge part of Itchen North and one of my favourite things about it. That's why I've no problem with the banter and the tribalism. I sang anti-Northern songs with my missus and kid next to me. They know the score, and so do the away fans. It's nearly all good fun and top class if you're a Saints fan - but probably the worst place to be if you're an away fan standing in the home end. Last game of last season wasn't nice.

• 2 months later...