Petition to Southampton FC

Dr Who?

I think it's great that some clubs support the growth of womens football. It's our nations most popular team sport so not surprising that girls want to play it within an organised structure. If my daughter wants to play for her local side then I would be as proud to watch her do that as I do my son.

Having said that I have no time for the degree to which the national media force it down our throats, celebrate it like they've discovered the secret of alchemy and try to tell us we should like it. Sadly it's not a good watch and is many many times less absorbing and exciting than the mens game. Mens football has had over 100 years to get itself to where it is now, so it's steeped in history and deep rooted passionate support.

Womens football is new and needs to build, which means it has to entertain and for the large proportion of followers of mens football it is miles off the mark as they are comparing it to the men game. They need to find their own audience but I'm not sure who that will be aside than other women that play football and a few salivating lesbians.......so let them grow their version of the game but not via a petition, surely not every societal issue connected with women needs to be made a politcal one!