The fall and rise of the European Union

hutch

Thanks for posting on this threat Van Hanegem, interesting to read the Dutch perspective, hopefully the people there will also soon be able to show their dissatisfaction towards the EU and the corrupt bureaucrats who run it.

You're welcome JRM. The first possiblity to show our dissatisfaction towards the EU will be the next General Election in march 2017. But I doubt it will make any difference as most Dutchmen want to stay in the EU. They do want reforms of course as they don't like what's happening in Brussels either but getting out is a bridge too far. I can understand why they want to stay in the EU as the Dutch economy relies in a big way on the German market and taking part in the euro doesn't help either. But hearing France and Germany calling out for more federalism now Britain has left (well, let's suppose it's really going to happen...) and talking about a european army and european taxes, the dislike of the EU might grow. Our PM Mark Rutte has said he doesn't want this but without Cameron to back him up he is going to have a hard time, especially when the european commision led by Juncker and the european parliament play hardball and Rutte doesn't have a sturdy backbone. I'm sure he's hoping that Britain will make a u-turn and won't leave the EU.