R.I.P. Griff Lansley

inoffthepost

I'm sure there'll be many people on here that know or knew Griff Lansley.

I have known Griff all of my life and, for both of us, our support and love of the Saints began in the 1960's; for the past 10 seasons or so we were season ticket buddies moving from the Chapel to Kingsland North about 5 seasons ago.

Griff was a larger than life character, very much a call a spade a spade man.

He had a varied working life and spent many years in the local leagues as a goalkeeper and a manager.

In more recent years Griff had to retire from work due to ill health however he continued to live a full and varied life.

His last game at St Marys was against Hull and he complained then of being unwell; that game certainly didn't help!

Since then Griff was in and out of hospital and, earlier this week, Griff died at Southampton General Hospital. He had recently turned 62.

Prior to the arrival of Markus, and in our, (Saints), struggles, on leaving the ground Griff would utter 'same sh*t different day'.

Griff's passing will arouse memories within the minds of many Sotonians, some good, some not so but he was a salt of the earth character and one that I will miss greatly.

RIP Griff