Weekend’s other games

whelk

Just done a predictor - i had us drawing a few games and losing others and only beating Bournemouth and Brighton - yet we still stayed up, Brighton, Swansea, Huddersfield go down in my predictor, Newcastle and West Ham get drawn into it, and i was a bit too kind to Watford who are in freefall.

I think people forget that victories seriously see us rise up - as our goal difference is superior to many teams around us. I think our ability to pick up draws in tough games might be the key, but i can also see our form picking up and other teams dipping.

Again, the Brighton game and West Brom game will define our season and we need 3 points (a win in either game) to help us. But what i reckon will happen is a draw in both games - which isn't enough.

What did you have the Swansea, WBA, Newcastle, West Ham games down as?

Could see us drawing most of those! i think we'll draw against some big teams as well, - ah i think we had one other victory (can't remember which game)

This was our points total: Southampton FC 38 7 16 15 42:59 -17 37

37 points sounds reasonable - how many points did 18th get?

I've closed the table now but 18th had 33/34 points. It was very tight down there, but people forget that other teams have some hard games coming up. I was very pessimistic, and currently as fans we can't see Saints winning games, so had i have been more optimistic we'd easily be 40+ points. I've gone on current form (lots of draws)

Key games for us will be Stoke at home/Newcastle away - i have us drawing both - if we were to win both we're safe (if we pick up points in other games).

The one bright spot is we're starting games well and getting leads, it's just holding onto them. But a win brings confidence and we have ability to compete with bigger teams (like Arsenal/Man Utd/Tottenham) and were unlucky against Man City, simply put we have a good bunch of players who now recognise the situation and with some additions (yes there will be some late January) we will be a better attacking outfit.

Key to our season is Cedric/Bertrand fitness and them being available - as they are arguably better than most full backs outside top four.

Another disturbing fact is that we have played more home games than any other club

and half of those 6 home games are against top 6 sides. Just 3 winnable home games left and all these are relegation defining 6 pointers.

Edited by Topcat