Some post-season thoughts ...

silly point

First off, congratulations on a fantastic season (indeed our best ever) and for the Europe qualification. We can certainly look towards the next season with some cautious optimism. Here then, are some post-season thoughts of a Saints fan ...

1. We had the third best record against the top 8 (after WHU and LEI). Not bad for our Champions league aspirations next year!

2. Beyond a doubt, we had some impressive results in the second half of the season - the draw at the Emirates, win at OT, win at Stoke. But did the schedule and circumstances align in our favor? Consider this: we got Man City before their Champions league match, we got Palace before their FA Cup final, we get the Spurs right after the season hopes burst ...on top of that, we didnt have any mid week commitments in 2016 ... no Europa, no FA cup.

3. It is precisely for this reason - Europa travel (that thankfully was shortlived) and the cup matches - our form was suffered horrendously towards the end of the first half (late Nov and Dec).

4. We need to bolster our defense with a couple of defensive mid-fielders ... We didnt have any clean sheets after the impressive streak. When our wingers and forwards go cold, clean sheets are our best friend. Losing Schneiderlin definitely hurt and losing Wanyama will hurt even more. This is even more critical with our Europa matches and travel next season.

5. The healthy competition in the midfield/forward positions was, I think, one of our main reasons for our success. Guys like Tadic and Pelle were fresh even in the later part of the season (an improvement from the previous season).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

your point 5 .....is the answer to point 2.

Koeman said we had more competition for places in our squad than the previous season. If the clubs (in point 2 ) played weaker sides, or were crying in their beer, it may have been because they didn't have " strength in depth ", or the manager wanted to protect his prize assets. It's the manager's choice who he chooses to play.

Spurs started with one of their strongest line-ups, and with nothing to lose Pardew (or any manager) would have given his second-string players an outing to see how they performed against a team as strong as Saints. If they're on the payroll, they deserve a chance, regardless of the opposition.

First off, congratulations on a fantastic season (indeed our best ever) and for the Europe qualification. We can certainly look towards the next season with some cautious optimism. Here then, are some post-season thoughts of a Saints fan ...

1. We had the third best record against the top 8 (after WHU and LEI). Not bad for our Champions league aspirations next year!

2. Beyond a doubt, we had some impressive results in the second half of the season - the draw at the Emirates, win at OT, win at Stoke. But did the schedule and circumstances align in our favor? Consider this: we got Man City before their Champions league match, we got Palace before their FA Cup final, we get the Spurs right after the season hopes burst ...on top of that, we didnt have any mid week commitments in 2016 ... no Europa, no FA cup.

3. It is precisely for this reason - Europa travel (that thankfully was shortlived) and the cup matches - our form was suffered horrendously towards the end of the first half (late Nov and Dec).

4. We need to bolster our defense with a couple of defensive mid-fielders ... We didnt have any clean sheets after the impressive streak. When our wingers and forwards go cold, clean sheets are our best friend. Losing Schneiderlin definitely hurt and losing Wanyama will hurt even more. This is even more critical with our Europa matches and travel next season.

5. The healthy competition in the midfield/forward positions was, I think, one of our main reasons for our success. Guys like Tadic and Pelle were fresh even in the later part of the season (an improvement from the previous season).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take your point about Europa being a drag. We've got a chance to learn from that.

Also I agree that we took advantage of winning games against teams with other priorities at the end of the season - if we hadn't had done, it would have been a very mediocre finish.

Reminds me, I think, of 83 where we collected a few points against teams in flip flops when Liverpool where uncatchable. Ended up second I think, which is obviously not as good as 6th :-)

Point of order; 80-81 finished 6th, 81-82 finished 7th with more points than this season, 83-84 finished 2nd, 84-85 finished 5th.

but the premier league reset *everything*... means the blue few can't claim their titles mind you :-)