help with dogsitting/fostering

saint boggy

my elderly neighbour has been in hospital since Monday and i and another neighbour have been looking after her 2 small dogs (one has stayed overnight with me while the other has stayed at his home,as he prefers it on his own. She came home today but has got to go back into hospital for 5 days next week.The problem is that myself and my neighbour are on holiday ,so can't look after the dogs.The lady is a pensioner,so can't afford kennels so what i was wondering was does anyone know of any charities/organisations who are able to look after her dogs whilst she is in hospital...there MUST be somewhere that they can go,at minimal cost,she can't be the ONLY person to be in this situation..

If anyone could shed some light onto what her options are that would be great.

She has tried the PDSA and they said that all she can do is sign the dogs over to them...permanently! (this is NOT an option)...

Thanks guys

serious posts only please, smart alec comments are not welcome!

my elderly neighbour has been in hospital since Monday and i and another neighbour have been looking after her 2 small dogs (one has stayed overnight with me while the other has stayed at his home,as he prefers it on his own. She came home today but has got to go back into hospital for 5 days next week.The problem is that myself and my neighbour are on holiday ,so can't look after the dogs.The lady is a pensioner,so can't afford kennels so what i was wondering was does anyone know of any charities/organisations who are able to look after her dogs whilst she is in hospital...there MUST be somewhere that they can go,at minimal cost,she can't be the ONLY person to be in this situation..

If anyone could shed some light onto what her options are that would be great.

She has tried the PDSA and they said that all she can do is sign the dogs over to them...permanently! (this is NOT an option)...

Thanks guys

serious posts only please, smart alec comments are not welcome!

Is it worth talking to the RSPCA? Even if they cannot have them temporarily they may know of organisations (or maybe just individuals) who can. Is there a dog equivalent of the Cats Protection League? They may also be worth contacting

It doesn't sound like she's in good enough health to properly care for the animals. Even when she's not in hospital, is she physically able to take them out for walks a couple of times per day? You and the other do-gooder need to start actually doing some good: by convincing her to sign them over permanently to the PDSA or somehow else get rid of them. It's cruel and selfish of her if she refuses.

It doesn't sound like she's in good enough health to properly care for the animals. Even when she's not in hospital, is she physically able to take them out for walks a couple of times per day? You and the other do-gooder need to start actually doing some good: by convincing her to sign them over permanently to the PDSA or somehow else get rid of them. It's cruel and selfish of her if she refuses.

:lol: That's just retarded.

Just because someone has to go into hospital on a couple of occasions, doesn’t mean they are unfit to care for animals. The fact she is elderly doesn't mean she's not got another 20/30/40 years ahead of her. You are just making an assumption that as she's elderly and had to go into hospital she isn't able to look after herself/anyone else from now onwards.

• 2 weeks later...
Boggy, what breed & age are they and roughly what area? Also which days is she away for?

this please

sorry guys, i forgot all about this thread.

there is a little sh1tzu who,tbf, is no trouble whatsoever...i had him stay every night at my place and i didnt have any troubles at all...the other is a very old (but very horny ) staffie...he is also adorable and just wants to be petted....he stayed in my neighbours flat every night and ,quite frankly, seemed fairly content with that ...my neighbour is back in hospital this week and next and ive said that i will do all i can for her (the sh1tzu is quite happy to live with me and my dog,but the staffie just turns round and goes back home whenever i try to get him to come to mine...so, in all honesty its just the staffie that is a bit of a problem really..

We are in Weston,btw

A Staffie simply would not fit in as our Patterdale is very territorial toward larger dog, sorry.

Re the ****zu, if you get stuck let me kow as mrs h loves them and she's got quite a lot of time off over the next couple of weeks. Boo, the pug, is an absolute softie when it comes to little dogs. Weston no prob either Boggy.

Thanks guys....i have the sh1tzu over with me at the moment and he just settles in as if he lives here,bless him..again the staffie just didnt want to come to mine...he seems to enjoy the peace and quiet at home i think :lol:

Hammy, the staffie is only a littl'un (fat mind, but only little!LOL) ..he's 14 now, so very arthritic and a bit doddery, but very lovable...:)...

Think that we have got things covered now that me and our other neighbour are back from holiday, i only work 2 days a week, so they should be ok by themselves till i get home...

thanks again for the offers guys and i will PM you if we get stuck in the future... :)

/\

Who do you think you are? Preaching 'morals' to people who's selfless gestures you know nothing about?

This thread demonstrates the niceness that many in society retain, simple gestures that help our neighbour. Helping those that you owe no favour to is a fine example of kindness. You and your ilk could do well to learn from this fine example. Please also bear in mind that kindness is not a weakness, selfishness is.

On a personal note, I do not like dogs.