SLR Photography

Jeff Le Taxi

Been wanting a SLR camera for a while, any users give me an opinion on this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330470531457 as an entry level starter, seems like a cheap deal to me!

I've just bought the d5000. It cost more so i thought it'd be a bit better as i wanted to enter the DSLR world with soething decent and not a beginners model that i'd later regret buying. The said camera is very good and does loads of complicated things that i've read about and done and almost instantly forgot, it it's basically a neat gadget and you'll love having a play and will then probably get bored with the hassle and whack it auto from then on in. I got mine from Jessops and got ripped off price wise to where i've seen it elsewhere and when you buy a new Nikon atm do not take out the rip off insurance you're always offered. It comes with a 1 year guarentee and if you register it you are put through to the expensive,and almost always unecessary product insurance firm that Nikon use - here you can claim an extra years free guarentee giving you 2 years of cover for malfunctions(but they'll really try and convince you to buy the additional cover and it's up to you whether you think what they're offering is a good deal as items like this can be put on th household insurance for peanuts, the guarentee is however not going to cover damage you inflict so if you drop it keep your mouth shut. Let me know when you get it because whatever model you get will very similar to mine and yu can tell me how to work the bloody thing.

Edited by dune

My wife bought me a Canon EOS 450D for a present a couple of months ago, with 18-55 and 70-300 lenses. My first DSLR after "point and shoot", and I'm just an amateur. Dune's right, there is a heck of a lot to learn.

What I've learned so far, FWIW, is:

• you get far better results if you don't just use AUTO, and do set the camera up for the purpose
  • the lens(es) are at least as important as the body
  • very important to learn the autofocus setting options first, or else use manual focus until you do
  • set to multi-shoot, and select the best image later (use a big memory card- mine's 8GB)
  • shoot in RAW format, so you can adjust the image later with software before converting to JPEG

The things I would look for are:

• Memory card type. The card fits straight into the slot in my laptop. I don't know what type it is, but it looks like a big sim card. It would be a nuisance to have to mess around with USB cables.
  • Battery life. I fully charged mine once when it was new, nearly 3 months ago. 500 shots later and it's still not run down yet.
  • The EOS 450D doesn't have "image stabilisation" (anti-shake) built into the body. With Canon IS is part of the lens, but IS lenses are a lot more expensive. I haven't got any image stabilisation, and haven't missed it (yet!).

The only thing I've found so far lacking in the camera body is that the maximum ISO is only 1600, which means that night shots without flash have quite long shutter speed times, and you really need a tripod at night without a flash. Apparently there is a firmware "upgrade" for the EOS to increase the ISO to 3200, which I'll probably try soon.

Overall I'm very pleased with the Canon.

HTH

I've just bought the d5000. It cost more so i thought it'd be a bit better as i wanted to enter the DSLR world with soething decent and not a beginners model that i'd later regret buying. The said camera is very good and does loads of complicated things that i've read about and done and almost instantly forgot, it it's basically a neat gadget and you'll love having a play and will then probably get bored with the hassle and whack it auto from then on in. I got mine from Jessops and got ripped off price wise to where i've seen it elsewhere and when you buy a new Nikon atm do not take out the rip off insurance you're always offered. It comes with a 1 year guarentee and if you register it you are put through to the expensive,and almost always unecessary product insurance firm that Nikon use - here you can claim an extra years free guarentee giving you 2 years of cover for malfunctions(but they'll really try and convince you to buy the additional cover and it's up to you whether you think what they're offering is a good deal as items like this can be put on th household insurance for peanuts, the guarentee is however not going to cover damage you inflict so if you drop it keep your mouth shut. Let me know when you get it because whatever model you get will very similar to mine and yu can tell me how to work the bloody thing.

Ha!..same camara, same problem:lol:. I think you have to be using it a lot, to actually learn how all the side show bits work. Buy Digital camara, you get some good tips in there. Failing that, go onto Amazon, look up 'D5000 for Dummies', very good book.;)