Death Cult

tpbury

The Australian Prime Minister, Tony Abbot, recently referred to the 'Death Cult', referring to the people who behead people in Syria/Iraq. This bloke is normally a complete jerk, but I like the way his advisors have found a term which is not religiously loaded.

I am not sure if this a consistent approach, but it seems sensible to not acknowledge these people as Islamists, Muslims etc, thereby casting regular muslims as being in favour.

The Australian Prime Minister, Tony Abbot, recently referred to the 'Death Cult', referring to the people who behead people in Syria/Iraq. This bloke is normally a complete jerk, but I like the way his advisors have found a term which is not religiously loaded.

I am not sure if this a consistent approach, but it seems sensible to not acknowledge these people as Islamists, Muslims etc, thereby casting regular muslims as being in favour.

The term 'death cult' was first applied - to Al Qaeda - by ex-CIA officer Robert Baer. He's written and made television series about it. As a means of explaining the motives of recruits it's not a bad analysis (placing Al Qeada, ISIS, Boko Haram, Al Shabaab, etc on a par with the Jonestown Masscacre fantasists or Manson acolytes), but it nowhere near tells the whole story of what these organisations are about and why they flourish.

I like Abbott, he is stupid but at least he says what he means. He was the pick of a bad bunch to be honest.