Camera help

BadgerBadger

I'm looking to get a compact camera primarily for the missus (so it has to be user friendly)

Have the following so far:

Nikon Coolpix S220

Fujifilm Finepix J30

or as I'll also be using it at times I've also been looking at:

Panasonic FS62 or FS15 - both seem better quality of photo than the previous 2 if a little larger

Anybody got any of these or have any input

I'm looking to get a compact camera primarily for the missus (so it has to be user friendly)

Have the following so far:

Nikon Coolpix S220

Fujifilm Finepix J30

or as I'll also be using it at times I've also been looking at:

Panasonic FS62 or FS15 - both seem better quality of photo than the previous 2 if a little larger

Anybody got any of these or have any input

Not a great deal of help, but I got the similar Finepix J28 this xmas for my parents. I have not used it but researched it and consensus seems to be that this series have a great and easy to use interface as well as being an all round good quality camera. Also has a bigger screen than the Nikon.

The US Amazon reviews for the cheaper J28 are actually much more favourable than the reviews for the J30. I'd try to track down a J28 if I were you.

However, those Lumix series from Panasonic for a bit more money are great too. Friend has one and loves it.

Edited by LVSaint

My wife has the Nikon S210 (the model before the S220) and its is a fine fine compact camera. produces some nice crisp images when you tweek the settings correctly.

My sister has the J30 and it too is a very good camera. Easier to use than the Nikon but the pictures are not as sharpe or saturated in colour.

Ive not had any dealing with the Panasonic range but they get some good write up.s

To be honest, with most compact point and shoots today, its much of a muchness. All take SD memory, all take proprietary battery packs etc...

Have a fell of them and decide which one sits better in your hands/pocket and go for it.

Edited by Pancake
wife, not wide.. ooops!

fwiw I would plump for one that takes standard batteries and buy myself a pack of Vapex 2900 nmh batteries, they have great 'oomph'

http://www.vapextech.co.uk/acatalog/High_Power_Consumer_Batteries.html

as recomendede to me a while back by the 2AM boys.

Re a camera, one tip I was told was to check check out the part ref of the CCD from the makers higher spec models, see if the budget one shares the same CCD and you know it's a good one.

I should stress that I am a thicko with regard tech stuff though so ignore this post if you wish.