Football Towns

Nordic Saint

Away trips to northern towns in the 1970s were always interesting. Unfortunately I never made it to Halifax, which looks quite intriguing in this documentary, especially the Piece Hall, which is reminiscent of some of the great town squares of Europe, like the one in Salamanca. It definitely looks worth a visit. Fish & chip and beer always seemed much cheaper and better up there and if you stayed on at night the local girls seemed to find a visitor from the south quite exotic. One of the last away trips I made to a small northern town, was to Barnsley, which was worth wandering around before the game. It must also be one of the few grounds in the country where, because of a hill slope, you can see your car in the the away car park while you are watching the game.

Ian Nairn, Ray Gosling and Fyfe Robertson used to make some wonderful TV documentaries about Britain.

A bygone era:

Football Towns contd.

Huddersfield and Halifax.

Unfortunately I never made it to Halifax, which looks quite intriguing in this documentary, especially the Piece Hall, which is reminiscent of some of the great town squares of Europe,

From visits about ten years ago; Really interesting place that's still full of independent traders., Seems a little removed from the main town centre, but absolutely worth a trip. Loads of excellent pubs hidden away, including a bizarre one directly underneath the whacking great flyover that bypasses the town. One of the weirdest bits of road architecture/infrastructure I've ever seen.