Pardew's Scouting Shake-up

Ashby Saint

On Radio Solent last night the reporter said that Wotte and CO did not use scounts and said that they wanted to concentrate on our game not our opponents. It was one of Lowe's first decisions when he returned.

True story.

They did watch the oppo's highlights in the week before the game for about 5mins in the staplewood canteen - but that was it

The training was focused on one touch passing and technique, nothing really ever geared towards coping with the oppo as we had the brilliant view that ''if we played our football'' we will beat anyone without having to ''prepare for each opposition'.. Excellent job lowe.

Whilst I am a firm believer of getting your own house in order first, the noddy approach highlighted above is just mind blowing.

Following on from the Poortvliet revelations in that interview the other day I'm surprised the Revolutionary Coaching Set Up didn't have us down by the Spring.

Unbelievable.

Forget about financial constraints and any other excuses, it looks as thought the way we approached last season meant we were as good as down before a ball was kicked in earnest.

Well, thankyou AP for telling us as it is.

Looks like he must have read the thread about coming clean about the real mess we were in.

The Scouting system was a mess, and as others have said, it has taken a long time to get this bad, the coaching was a mess and they are just the tip of what I think must have been a nightmarish iceberg when they all walked in on their first day.

Personally I think it is wonderful that the management now trust the fans enough to tell us things like this.

More evidence that Rome will not be built in a day, but that we have wsie heads at the helm.

Happier now and off on my hols

ciao

For every second of every year this forum has been alive, I have been asking - begging - for us to appoint a manager and LET HIM RUN THE CLUB.

Finally, finally, someone is listening.

Rupert what a pillock you were.

Someone is definitely not listening. Cortese has promised us a sporting director who will be fully in charge of these aspects.

Someone is definitely not listening. Cortese has promised us a sporting director who will be fully in charge of these aspects.

I sincerely hope you're wrong. The manager has to be responsible for winning matches and as a result, in my view, has to be the one who determines all the factors that contribute to first team success.

Look at Arry and where Spurs are now.

Originally Posted by up and away viewpost.gif

I sincerely hope you're wrong. The manager has to be responsible for winning matches and as a result, in my view, has to be the one who determines all the factors that contribute to first team success.

Look at Arry and where Spurs are now.

Take another look at "Arry". What you have is a DoF picking the team. He gets others to do ththe coaching.

Whilst I am a firm believer of getting your own house in order first, the noddy approach highlighted above is just mind blowing.

Following on from the Poortvliet revelations in that interview the other day I'm surprised the Revolutionary Coaching Set Up didn't have us down by the Spring.

Unbelievable.

Forget about financial constraints and any other excuses, it looks as thought the way we approached last season meant we were as good as down before a ball was kicked in earnest.

Seconded.

If this approach is as true as reported then I'd like to know where the decision originated. I'm biased but I have to assume Lowe or whomever was advising him as I can see how the line 'we don't need to pay for scouting as we can just train our youngsters and save a load of money' would have fitted the strategy.

One of the things I remember players saying about Hoddle was that each week of training was geared towards how to beat the opposition and he didn't seem to do to badly for us on a budget. To take the 'we will just outplay them' approach is ridiculously complacent what has been proven to be flawed.

This and the various translations attributed to Poortvliet recently are probably the most depressing things yet for me as regards the whole sorry season.

/rant.

Take another look at "Arry". What you have is a DoF picking the team. He gets others to do ththe coaching.

Sure, I would agree, but that isn't really any different to ONeill or Fergie. I think one man has to be in charge of the playing set-up from soup to nuts. If a DoF simply signs the cheques and agrees the salaries, fair enough. But where a DoF is superior to the manager it simply never appears to work.

No surprise really. When there is little money to spend these are the things that go.

There was an interesting interview with someone on Talksport yesterday. How he changed the colour scheme in the dressing room and things like that and how they made a big difference psychologically. No, it was not the much derided Clive Woodward, it was the much respective Sam Alladyce.

Woodword gets a regular slating on here but one of his jobs was to chnage the mindset of this club into winners, something we haven't remotely come near since we reached the play offs.

These things cost money, these things need vision.

When the money dried up and the fans didn't "get" the vision, ideas and approaches were jettisoned.

I am not saying the reason we are in this mess is because Wilde bottled it and go rid of Woodward.

But it did not help.

Woodward was not the only one who could have done that job, but clubs like ours do need to punch above their weight and he was brought in to help us do that.

We have been punching under our weight for a number of seasons now but a number of people stil don't get it.

Hoddle is a football man, Woodward a rugby man.

Hoddle didn't believe in the players pratising penalities and as a consequence the national team failed. Do you think they would have practiced penalties if Woodward had had some input?

It has nothing to do with boundaries, it has everything to do with basic common sense.

Woodward and the people like him understand what makes the difference between winning and losing and put things into place to make the former more likely.

When you are not Manchester United or Chelsea or Manchester City you need people like that to give you the extra 2 or 3% that makes a difference.

Sadly at one point we had an opportunity and a structure to to something that would make a difference but the lack of vision and the wearing of blinkersin some quarters meant we took a wrong turn, and boy are we paying for it now.