Pardew's Scouting Shake-up

Ashby Saint

"We're still pursuing a scout for Ireland because we haven't even got the entire U.K covered, let alone overseas, but when I arrived here we had one scout doing match reports!"

...the old setup comes across as some nightmarish version of one man and his dog.

I know we had to make a lot of cutbacks over the last few years but what chance did we really stand with the scouting system in such disarray? Especially as the coaches had absolutely no knowledge of the league we were in!!

I have been bemoaning this all the way back to the first Wilde "Revolution :rolleyes:"when Burley was in charge.

I recall commenting at the time that while Wolves scouts were unearthing talent like Kightly and Keogh, our scouts seemed more attuned to "Bob-a-Job" than discovering football talent.

How good it is to hear that this vitally important function is being positively addressed.

"We're still pursuing a scout for Ireland because we haven't even got the entire U.K covered, let alone overseas, but when I arrived here we had one scout doing match reports!"

...the old setup comes across as some nightmarish version of one man and his dog.

Who was that one man? Surely not our esteemed Director of Football or was it the 3rd dutchie who suddenly appeared in January?

Whoever it was, we must thank him for Ryan Smith. :D

Who was that one man? Surely not our esteemed Director of Football or was it the 3rd dutchie who suddenly appeared in January?

Whoever it was, we must thank him for Ryan Smith. :D

....Or possibly, the old trusted VHS player - JP sung its praises enough times. Wonder what kind of salary our cyborg friend was on.

I know we had to make a lot of cutbacks over the last few years but what chance did we really stand with the scouting system in such disarray? Especially as the coaches had absolutely no knowledge of the league we were in!!

It could be that our scouting set up was "ok" up until administration and that the state of 'disarray' has happened very quickly as a result of administration?

I've no idea how good our set up was, say, this time last season?

In other words, was it Lowe & Co that wound down the scouting operation over a period of time or was it given the chop by the administrator in April?

It could be that our scouting set up was "ok" up until administration and that the state of 'disarray' has happened very quickly as a result of administration?

In other words, was it Lowe & Co that wound down the scouting operation over a period of time or was it given the chop by the administrator in April?

Possible I suppose but the only one ever mentioned in recent years has been Cooper. Whether he had a team of scouts or a certain amount of freelancers working under him, is anybody's guess.

Possible I suppose but the only one ever mentioned in recent years has been Cooper. Whether he had a team of scouts or a certain amount of freelancers working under him, is anybody's guess.

My Uncle's a part time 'freelance' scout (West Ham and Burnley in recent years) but tends to get attached exclusively to one club at a time. But I doubt he would show up on your average club supporter's radar so I'm assuming this is how it 'worked' at St Mary's - i.e. one named chief scout with unnamed scouts working for/with him on a 'supply and demand' basis

Its been pretty invisible for some time in all fairness and has hardly unearthed a rich seam of talent like other clubs have.

Cooper was of course there for several years until he was relieved of his duties and of course Gorman came in to do the scout job until he was promoted to the ill-fated D&G management partnership.

Since then - Nothing until now!

trousers, I think the repeated references to 'zero' suggest that the rot set in ages ago. If the scouting system had vanished during admin, it would have been relatively easy to revive it. But it's clear that AP has had to rebuild it root and branch.

Just another fine example of what people were saying about being in admin already with Lowe at the helm. After it is all said and done the club was just a shell. There was no way we would recover from that without the club going the way it eventually has. But it shows how far we still have to go in terms of building the club up again behind the scenes as well as on the pitch.

My Uncle's a part time 'freelance' scout (West Ham and Burnley in recent years) but tends to get attached exclusively to one club at a time. But I doubt he would show up on your average club supporter's radar so I'm assuming this is how it 'worked' at St Mary's - i.e. one named chief scout with unnamed scouts working for/with him on a 'supply and demand' basis

My Father in Law was chatting at his work to a chap that used to play for Sheffield Utd and Stockport, not sure on his name, not very special. He was bought to Saints as a sort of Scout up north when Dave Jones came in, more for reporting on opposition than potential individuals i think. Got a few quid a game and a couple of warm winter coats.

When my Father in Law told him i was a Saint he bought in one of the coats unused. Very nice.

But it was only a side job for him and i think he's moved to Spain half way during last year so it all fits with what Trousers said and what AP is discussing.

Have to say, well impressed with the professionalism so far!! I do feel it is coming together

I do find my self agreeing with you 100% on that observation Thorpie, in addition it also underlines that we have quite a way to go; and frankly if we finish mid table this season and go for promotion next season, then we should all be grateful for that.

On Radio Solent last night the reporter said that Wotte and CO did not use scounts and said that they wanted to concentrate on our game not our opponents. It was one of Lowe's first decisions when he returned.

True story.

They did watch the oppo's highlights in the week before the game for about 5mins in the staplewood canteen - but that was it

The training was focused on one touch passing and technique, nothing really ever geared towards coping with the oppo as we had the brilliant view that ''if we played our football'' we will beat anyone without having to ''prepare for each opposition'.. Excellent job lowe.

Yeah you could just see old Terry Cooper, our chief scout from Tenerife to be precise. Just hanging out the back of Lineker's bar, "hey Miguel stick on that La Liga would you son, im supposed to be scouting today".

I always thought that was ridicolous, our chief scout in Tenerife, a lot of talent there but not footballers. I remember having this conversation at SMS with Lawrie about 2 and half years ago after just had lost at home to Sheff Utd. It is ludicrous.

Good scouting is the only way small to medium size clubs have a chance for success. We have missed out on so many good players down the years through poor scouting.

Even all our major outlays have bene disasters

McCann -bought for £1.75 mill - released for nothing

Delap - £4 mill - released for nothing

Phillips - £3mill - £750k recouped

Admittedly we got lucky on Jones and Crouch but lets not forget we let Adebayor and Drogba to name just two slip through our fingers when they could of changed the whole history of the club.

A good recent example of our terrible planning was 2 years ago. As always Saints left their business too late and started the season with no fit centre backs and consequently were heavily beaten in the first game against Palace.

Saints left it until the last week to sign a defender and over paid drastically for Thomas from burnley for £1million. In turn they bought Clarke Carlisle for £250k.

Now who got the better deal. Carlisle is now a premier league defender and has not missed a game in 2 years, Thomas well.......

Funny how when we needed a left back a couple of years ago, we failed to spot a player like Stephen Jordan on a free or failed to have the insight to buy a player like Eagles or Ebanks Blake from Man Utd.

Scouting is key, the sooner we sort it out the better

Anti Niemi - £2m.

Michael Svennson - £2m.

Two real disasters....

True story.

They did watch the oppo's highlights in the week before the game for about 5mins in the staplewood canteen - but that was it

The training was focused on one touch passing and technique, nothing really ever geared towards coping with the oppo as we had the brilliant view that ''if we played our football'' we will beat anyone without having to ''prepare for each opposition'.. Excellent job lowe.

That is breathtaking. It's like the club was taken over by the pod people.

Yeah you could just see old Terry Cooper, our chief scout from Tenerife to be precise. Just hanging out the back of Lineker's bar, "hey Miguel stick on that La Liga would you son, im supposed to be scouting today".

I always thought that was ridicolous, our chief scout in Tenerife, a lot of talent there but not footballers. I remember having this conversation at SMS with Lawrie about 2 and half years ago after just had lost at home to Sheff Utd. It is ludicrous.

Good scouting is the only way small to medium size clubs have a chance for success. We have missed out on so many good players down the years through poor scouting.

Admittedly we got lucky on Jones and Crouch but lets not forget we let Adebayor and Drogba to name just two slip through our fingers when they could of changed the whole history of the club.

A good recent example of our terrible planning was 2 years ago. As always Saints left their business too late and started the season with no fit centre backs and consequently were heavily beaten in the first game against Palace.

Saints left it until the last week to sign a defender and over paid drastically for Thomas from burnley for £1million. In turn they bought Clarke Carlisle for £250k.

Now who got the better deal. Carlisle is now a premier league defender and has not missed a game in 2 years, Thomas well.......

Funny how when we needed a left back a couple of years ago, we failed to spot a player like Stephen Jordan on a free or failed to have the insight to buy a player like Eagles or Ebanks Blake from Man Utd.

Scouting is key, the sooner we sort it out the better

Spot on. It's been a nagging part of our decline in many ways.

Players like Micheal Kightly as well at Wolves - they bought him for 170k..!!!! whilst we bought our ''equivalent'' player, Rudi Skacel, for 1.8m.

Madness. I'm so reassured by the fact that Pard's is spotting all our weaknesses (club-wide) and fixing them - no messing, just fixing them.

Long may it continue.

I should point out that Liverpool's academy management and coaching is Dutch.

Just qualified Dutch and not the crispbake variety we had down 'ere.

If it is so good why do they have the fewest number of home grown players in their team?

Wish they told us the names of these scouts :)

Most scouts prefer to remain anonymous. I remember in my day when playing for the county schools team I was told that the old guy with the cloth cap standing by the touchline was a scout for (Greenock) Morton and he was watching ME ! I asked how he would get in touch and was told that they would write to me ! That's how it was done, very low key !

Ps. The letter never did arrive, fecking Royal Mail, eh ????

Most scouts prefer to remain anonymous. I remember in my day when playing for the county schools team I was told that the old guy with the cloth cap standing by the touchline was a scout for (Greenock) Morton and he was watching ME ! I asked how he would get in touch and was told that they would write to me ! That's how it was done, very low key !

Did he have the right address?

As the Ronaldo of my day, you would have thought that have made a bit more of an effort though, eh ????

It was Greenock Morton FFS!! They probably (and quite rightly, from the above description) thought there was no way you'd sign for them, waaaay out of their league! :cool:

:lol: I had the same with Peterboro and Crewe when I played in a youth tournie in Holland...feckers