1080p or 1080i

Saint Keith

http://www.1080ivsp.net/ probably explains it the best.

Basically it is the way the image is displayed on the screen. 1080p has the image displayed line by line in a single pass, 1080i displays every other line first, then fills in the blanks on the second pass. Having said that LCD/Plasmas these days display all pixels in one go

so if i got something that was 1080i, because it was cheaper, would it still be an hd picture?

so if i got something that was 1080i, because it was cheaper, would it still be an hd picture?

TBH i don't think you can really tell the difference.

1080p is supposedly the big daddy *****il they release the next installment of HD, 3D, 4D or whatever) and is apparantly the better picture.

As has been said it is all about the way the picture is displayed on the screen.

TBF though, i can't see a massive difference between a standard image and a HD one, yeah it is a lot sharper but TBH it is not 300-400 quid a pop better off.

You are better off looking in the which best buy magazine and just plumping for the best option IMO.

For me when I play games there is a f*cking HUGE difference between 1080i and 1080p. Running full 1920x1080 resolution in full HD looks amazing whilst shooting the f&ck out of people on Call of duty :)

I think its fair to say you don't see much difference between it on TV & Blu Ray.

For me when I play games there is a f*cking HUGE difference between 1080i and 1080p. Running full 1920x1080 resolution in full HD looks amazing whilst shooting the f&ck out of people on Call of duty :)

I think its fair to say you don't see much difference between it on TV & Blu Ray.

Crap! You watch a Sky HD movie in their 720p HD, then watch the same movie in 1080p HD 24fps. You can certainly see the difference! ;)

There is very little viewing difference between 1080i and 1080p if you are using the set for normal tv or dvd viewing,it only seems to really be game consoles that show up the difference.

Also when using a full HD signal there is a massive difference over standard.

Crap! You watch a Sky HD movie in their 720p HD, then watch the same movie in 1080p HD 24fps. You can certainly see the difference! ;)

The OP was asking about 1080p vs 1080i - not 720p. Yes ther eis a big difference between 1080p and 720p - millions of pixels in face, but 1080i/p are very similar and its really only the source of the picture that will affect how it looks on the TV

720p - is HD, 720 progressive lines

1080i - is HD, 1080 interlaced lines

1080p - FULL HD, 1080 progressive lines

Hard to notice the difference on Sky HD when I switch the source from 720p to 1080i, most people seem to think that there is little noticeable difference on set 32in or lower between 1080i and 1080p.