Internet Dongle advice please

hamster

Hi,

We are off on the narrowboat this wekend and my grandson wants to take his netbook.

As we are only away for a wek and I probably wont use it very often aftrewards I don't want a contract so can someone recomend the best PAYG deal available at the moment please?

The boat is made of steel so would I need one that I can dangle out of the window using a USB extension lead?

One last thing; I need to be able to buy it in person either today or tomorrow so must be available in Soton.

My own current mobile phone is with Tesco if that helps.

Cheers.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

It really depends on the coverage where you are going. There's no point getting mobile connection without a signal.

It really depends on the coverage where you are going. There's no point getting mobile connection without a signal.

On previous occasions my mybile has worked fine most of the time, do you mean coverage re the area we're travelling? If so, we'll be following the Grand Union northward from an area called Gayton towards Market Harborough.

Also he'll be using it in the evenings once we are moored up, we tend to moor up where we can get a good reception on the Satelite dish but don't know if the that (sat reception) has any bearing on qualty of mobile reception.

/\

The route more or less follows the M1 near to Northampton up until Lutterworth, then we take a right turn to MH. I assumed that the coverage in the M1 corridor would be good but we will obviously be travelling at low level following the natural contours of the land.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
On previous occasions my mybile has worked fine most of the time, do you mean coverage re the area we're travelling? If so, we'll be following the Grand Union northward from an area called Gayton towards Market Harborough.

Also he'll be using it in the evenings once we are moored up, we tend to moor up where we can get a good reception on the Satelite dish but don't know if the that (sat reception) has any bearing on qualty of mobile reception.

Quick answer - no.

I concur with the O2 dongle. Utter, utter crap. Took 45 minutes to open my internet banking page.

According to this, they're all rubbish.

the best 3G supplier in the UK is Three IMHO. Their speeds are usually superior to most other providers. Their coverage map is here: http://www.three.co.uk/Mobile_Broadband/Coverage_speed

They also have a shop in West Quay so you should be able to pick one up easily. They probably sell them in all the usual mobile phone places. They charge £30 for the dongle and 1GB allowance.