Performance Air Filters.

Dog

Most are a waste of time. A decent panel replacing the OEM one will be your best bet. K&N are sound enough.

Car companies spend millions developing a car's breathing characteristics so just plonking on a cone filter will do bugger all for the car without an exhaust and full ECU remap to match.

Most are a waste of time. A decent panel replacing the OEM one will be your best bet. K&N are sound enough.

Car companies spend millions developing a car's breathing characteristics so just plonking on a cone filter will do bugger all for the car without an exhaust and full ECU remap to match.

Yeah, that is what I meant. I don't want a induction kit, just a air filter replacement square thingy. Supposed to give 30% more air, so should improve performance & fuel.

Get yourself on an owners' forum and search for air filter threads. It's really your best bet.

Bollix, they don't do a replacement air filter for my car. They must do surely?

Ponty?:smt102

BMC Air Filters, are they any good?

It looks like BMC are the only people that do one for my model. Thanks for that Ponty :) what exactly will it do to my car when fitted.

Edited by Dog

Yeah, BMC are very respected in motorsports. I could be wrong but I'm sure Ferrari fit them in some models for the track.

Truth is, it probably won't do a whole lot if you just bang it in except possibly clean the air better than the standard part unless your car has an intelligent ECU. If it has, ie. it can adapt to changes of fuel from 95 to 99 RON (without external mapping) then it will benefit.

It should make it a little more eager but it's all relative. Let's say it frees up a handful of horses, you're not going to notice much change when you're pushing well over 200 already. It's the sort of thing that I'd only change when the OEM one needs changing anyway, say after its first 3 years.

If you're hunting performance then a remap, alongside a new exhaust and filter, will probably free up about 50-80 horsepower for a grand or so. Anything more than that and you're looking at megabucks for new engine internals and a bigger turbo.

• 2 weeks later...