Stanstead to Southampton

Rod Le Shearer

Hi guys. just wondering how the hell I`m getting from Stanstead Airport to Southampton on a friday night ? whats the easiest travel,whats the cheapest & whats the fastest..?

never done that journey before. are there any trains/busses/whatever going directly from Stanstead,or do I have to make my way to a trainstation in London central..?

being a foreigner,I am not very familiar with travelling in England,so any good advice would be much appreciated ! :)

I believe a train route runs direct from Stansted to Clapham Junction across London. It services people changing flights mainly between Stansted, Gatwick and Heathrow. Change there for Southampton.

No direct train at all. Take the Stansted express direct from the airport to Liverpool St in East London, cross London via the central line to Bank and then the Waterloo and City line to Waterloo. Fast trains to Southampton every 30 mins 05 and 35 I think past each hour.

The only direct train across London is the Thameslink First Capital Connect service linking Luton Apt and Gatwick, on the Bedford to Brighton trains.

Its a pain in the arse. National Express via Heathrow is probably easiest if you have luggage, but it takes around 4 hours. As far as I know you can't get funfares between airports, so it won't be cheap. If you go via Victoria it will take longer but may be a bit cheaper if you can get a funfare ticket from there to Southampton.

Or...how about a taxi for £150? :-)

Are you doing going with ryanair from Torp?

I've done it a few times and nearly always just rented a car, but I did use the coach once. Stanstead to Heathrow and then on to Southampton. It took forever but will be by far the cheapest option.

no,norwegian from Tromsø. arrival at Stanstead 20.30,friday the 17 october.

seems like a crap journey to get to Soton..aaarg,I was hoping to get some beers before midnight !

Its a pain in the arse. National Express via Heathrow is probably easiest if you have luggage, but it takes around 4 hours. As far as I know you can't get funfares between airports, so it won't be cheap. If you go via Victoria it will take longer but may be a bit cheaper if you can get a funfare ticket from there to Southampton.

Or...how about a taxi for £150? :-)

a taxi for 150 doesnt seem that bad at all,if the journey is four effing hours. do you know any possible candidates for us,then..? :D

No direct train at all. Take the Stansted express direct from the airport to Liverpool St in East London, cross London via the central line to Bank and then the Waterloo and City line to Waterloo. Fast trains to Southampton every 30 mins 05 and 35 I think past each hour.

The only direct train across London is the Thameslink First Capital Connect service linking Luton Apt and Gatwick, on the Bedford to Brighton trains.

thats what my initial investigations have shown..the key is to get to Waterloo.

what kind off country do you live in,when a journey about 150 kilometres long should take several hours by public transportation ?? FFS

Ah, my mistake. Confusing Luton with Stansted.

a taxi for 150 doesnt seem that bad at all,if the journey is four effing hours. do you know any possible candidates for us,then..? :D

Yes, she's slightly underquoted, but Id do it for that for you... only you can't PM me if you're interested, me being a Registered User and all that!! PM Patrick Bateman if you're interested, I'm sure he won't mind passing on my contact email to you :)

Yes, she's slightly underquoted, but Id do it for that for you... only you can't PM me if you're interested, me being a Registered User and all that!! PM Patrick Bateman if you're interested, I'm sure he won't mind passing on my contact email to you :)

I`ll have to discuss it with my companion,but to me the idea of a quick taxi instead of a tiresome journey by a zillion different trains,is appealing.

cant you just get this "American Psycho"-chap to Pm me your e-mail then?

I`ll have to discuss it with my companion,but to me the idea of a quick taxi instead of a tiresome journey by a zillion different trains,is appealing.

cant you just get this "American Psycho"-chap to Pm me your e-mail then?

Patrick Bateman, my secretary, will PM you my email address in a moment!

What happened to the credit crunch? Mind you, not that bad idea if there's more than one of you.

If you are travelling anywhere near London on a Friday evening you will spend 2 hours on the M25. I will be interested if you do the taxi journey in

So will I; I didn't read the initial message properly and didn't realise it was a Friday night :-/ !!

Rod, please don't tip the driver. Should you feel that the service was however worthy of some extra remuneration please pass £5 to Granty and enrol Ess as a fully subscribed member of the £5 scum. That way you will be able to pm him direct without the services of his rent boy Bateman.

Why don't you just rent a car?

are you fecking insane..?

NO WAY on earth if I`m going to drive on the left side of the road,behind a rightsided steering-wheel..thats an accident waiting to happen.

besides,the pre-flight beers will prevent us from driving anywhere (legally)

Edited by Rod Le Shearer

Job booked, incl return journey. I'll let you all know if the Friday night turns into the rush hour journey from hell, just so you can all laugh at me.

I expect you to be there on time,friend ! we`ve got beers waiting for us.

are there usually any nice chicks out clubbing on friday nights,btw..?

Rod, please don't tip the driver. Should you feel that the service was however worthy of some extra remuneration please pass £5 to Granty and enrol Ess as a fully subscribed member of the £5 scum. That way you will be able to pm him direct without the services of his rent boy Bateman.

he might be lucky,and get some extra dust from the cloth of my pocket..oh well.