Higher Taxes v Cuts To The Public Sector

dune

Brilliant article in todays Express calling for tax cuts:

William Gladstone, one of the architects of Britain’s phenomenal economic expansion in the Victorian age, held that low taxes were a principle of good governance. “Money should fructify in the pockets of the people.”

Addicted to the ideology of the big state, the Left has long opposed the concept of lower income taxes, arguing that they undermine public services. Labour politicians and trade unionists like to claim that only the rich gain when the government confiscates less, while hard-pressed employees such as nurses and teachers suffer.

But this is nonsense. The lesson from history is that everyone in work gains when taxes are lowered. In fact, even government revenues can increase because the wealthy no longer move overseas or resort to clever accountancy stratagems to avoid paying punitive bills. This relationship between bigger government revenues and falling tax rates is known as “the Laffer Curve”, named after the brilliant US economist Arthur Laffer who was an adviser to President Reagan in the Eighties, when America boomed thanks partly to an aggressive policy of tax cuts.

Closer to home, there is a lesson for us in the recent experience of Sweden, traditionally a high-tax nation. But since 2006 the moderate conservative government led by Fredrik Reinfeldt has substantially cut taxes for those in lower and middle income brackets. The results have been higher employment, stronger enterprise and greater consumer confidence.

Sweden, too, emerged largely unscathed from the last recession. As Deputy Prime Minister Jan Bjorklund puts it: “If you tax work higher, you will have fewer people in work. If you tax work lower, you will have more at work.”

In Britain this is precisely the line we should follow. The concept of a high-tax economy was tested to destruction in Britain during 13 years of Labour rule and sadly the coalition is continuing along the same path. From January, VAT will increase to 20 per cent. Then next April, on top of a rise in national insurance contributions, the 40 per cent income tax threshold will be lowered from £43,875 to £42,475, which means that an additional 700,000 with middle incomes will have to hand over two fifths of their earnings to the state.

The money for significant tax cuts could be found if the political will existed. The Government now spends around £700 billion, much of it wasted on bureaucracy and dogma. If we reduced overseas aid and left the EU, for instance, we would instantly save £15 billion-a-year. The state already grabs far too much from us. The result of this fiscal bullying has been nothing but misery, whereas freedom can only help to rebuild our economy.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/217665/Why-lower-taxes-are-the-answer-to-Britain-s-problem

They would be up in Manchester.:rolleyes:

Your geography is as bad as your politics. I'm not in Manchester,- try again. And most of my family are resident in Sot'on, and I include them in my 'pool' of lefties. In fact, when I got promoted to a 'management' position, one called me a 'traitor to my class'.

Your geography is as bad as your politics. I'm not in Manchester,- try again. And most of my family are resident in Sot'on, and I include them in my 'pool' of lefties. In fact, when I got promoted to a 'management' position, one called me a 'traitor to my class'.

You poor love. Didn't you try and sell it to them that you were trying to bring it down* from the inside?

* whatever "it" is, i don't know what you do.