Cats need protecting! Even in Iceland...

1976_Child

In these dark credit-crunched days we all could do with a bit of a laugh so here's something really amusing.

I was in a cab yesterday afternoon and the radio was on. Apparently the Cats Protection Society has got eleven million quid - yes 11 MILLION!!! - in an Icelandic bank. Rumour has it that a lot of moggies are going without being protected at the moment.

I don't know where to go with this piece of news. Two days ago South Today informed us that a children's charity here in the south had five million in Iceland, and was facing ruin as a result. I was genuinely full of tears at the news. So when a very sombre-sounding news reader came on the airwaves and told me that the Association of Mad Old Women Who Love Cats had 11 MILLION tucked away I did have a chuckle.

And then I felt very ashamed. After all these Mad Old Women are obviously very devoted feline lovers. They set up camp in rural village halls and Metropolis Malls alike, shaking their collection tins at us. Although in many cases the shaking is involuntary. Their kindly smiles and moth-ball smelling clothes create an atmosphere of nostalgia for rationing, clipped BBC accents and that all important 'bugger Jerry, we're British!' attitude which won us our freedom to help cats find protection in the first place.

While we can marvel at their ability to raise eleven million quid I do think it speaks volumes about our national obsession with the collection-tin-shaking industry. I mean, while I would never willingly hurt a tabby I don’t think they are in need of more protection than human children. It is a weird old world.

So a British charity, that collected money from British people living in Britain, then went and invested it's money in Iceland instead of Britain.

And we should feel sad about it?

I imagine they didn't pay any tax on their interest 'earnings' all the while this money was tucked up in Iceland, but we're supposed to bail them out with our taxes??

The lunatics haven't just taken over the asylum, they appear to be in control of world finances too :rolleyes: