Motorcyclists

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

I live on a (fairly) main road, speed limit 30 which is observed by most people except many of the motorcyclists who use it.

A lot of them drive down at speeds which seem to be well in excess of 60 and I have three children under 12 living here along with a number of dogs and cats.

I am very worried that something will happen sooner or later. What can I do to calm the road down, except string piano wire across the road to stop the f*ckers?

I live on a (fairly) main road, speed limit 30 which is observed by most people except many of the motorcyclists who use it.

A lot of them drive down at speeds which seem to be well in excess of 60 and I have three children under 12 living here along with a number of dogs and cats.

I am very worried that something will happen sooner or later. What can I do to calm the road down, except string piano wire across the road to stop the f*ckers?

First thing to come to my mind would be to have a word with the neighbours/people living on the same stretch of road and ask their opinion on it. If you find a lot of people in agreement with you write a letter to the local council/MP suggesting speed cameras or similar, and get as many of the local residents as possible to sign it.

Edited by JackFrost

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
So it's only motorcyclists that speed on your road ?

Not entirely, I will admit. There are a few car drivers who are a problem but the vast majority are bikers. Sorry, but that's the situation.

An old neighbour of mine did better than that, he mounted a hairdryer on the back of an old knackered Ford Fiesta, painted a couple of bright green lines on the back of it and parked it outside his house.

You'd be amazed how many drivers/riders got taken in by it and slowed right down, I think it only worked because his house was just after a bend in the road but it was genuinely effective.

The traffic in the opposite direction was never travelling quickly due to the amount of cars parked on their side of the road, it was only from one direction where a 60mph went into a 30mph that a lot of drivers took little notice of.

Edited by JackFrost

Petition for some zebra crossings. My friend is a traffic engineer. He says that they put zebra crossings on a lot of roads purely for traffic control. People tend to observe these and are less begrudging of having to slow for them than for traffic lights, speed bumps, etc.

Petition for some zebra crossings. My friend is a traffic engineer. He says that they put zebra crossings on a lot of roads purely for traffic control. People tend to observe these and are less begrudging of having to slow for them than for traffic lights, speed bumps, etc.

Not a bad idea.

The other day I actually saw what must have been a group of local volunteers in daeglo jackets with the help of a couple of coppers set up a temporary speed trap in the most ridiculous of places on a main road near me. It was in such a place it was incredibly obvious and drivers hadn't had enough time to speed up to the speed limit after going through the traffic lights. It so bad a place that drivers were openly taking the ****. One guy slowed down to around 5 mph as he drove by it and another guy slowed down to about 15mph and then deliberately put his foot to the floor as he went past it, wheelspin and everything. One of the old boys actually shook his fist at him. I had to look the other way and try and not burst out laughing. The irony was if they'd have set it up 200 yards down the road it would have been in a useful place and been effective in controlling the speed of the passing cars.

It so bad a place that drivers were openly taking the ****. One guy slowed down to around 5 mph as he drove by it and another guy slowed down to about 15mph and then deliberately put his foot to the floor as he went past it, wheelspin and everything. One of the old boys actually shook his fist at him. I had to look the other way and try and not burst out laughing. The irony was if they'd have set it up 200 yards down the road it would have been in a useful place and been effective in controlling the speed of the passing cars.

Best bet is to do it again and have a second trap 200 yards down the road.;-)

People often perceive motorbikes to be travelling faster than they actually are due to them being louder than cars, indeed MCN conducted an experiment a few years back and found people perception of speed was wrong, they always said that the bikes were going quicker when the cars in the experiment were always 10mph faster. Make of that what you will.

As for the stupid suggestions regarding wire across the road and diesel spills i know you're just exaggerating for effect but its rather childish and stupid. I recall a farmer somewhere was reported to have put red diesel on the road outside his house because the motorcyclists annoyed him which resulted in somebody getting quite badly injured when they came off their bike. This resulted in a large number of bikers paying him a visit and trashing his property, what goes around comes around i guess.

People often perceive motorbikes to be travelling faster than they actually are due to them being louder than cars, indeed MCN conducted an experiment a few years back and found people perception of speed was wrong, they always said that the bikes were going quicker when the cars in the experiment were always 10mph faster. Make of that what you will.

As for the stupid suggestions regarding wire across the road and diesel spills i know you're just exaggerating for effect but its rather childish and stupid. I recall a farmer somewhere was reported to have put red diesel on the road outside his house because the motorcyclists annoyed him which resulted in somebody getting quite badly injured when they came off their bike. This resulted in a large number of bikers paying him a visit and trashing his property, what goes around comes around i guess.

Have to agree with that! Don't put lethal ideas into single brain celled cretins heads.