Video card install & removal

Spudders

I’ve fitted a new video card into my pc (it's a pretty old & basis pc by todays standards), the main reason was just so that I had another monitor port as I’ve just bought a new monitor so I thought I could use the duel screen option to use the old & new monitors together. As the new monitor had a HDMI connector, I got myself a HD video card (Radeon HD5450). Anyway, long story short, my pc isn’t up to the job, the processer isn’t good enough for the spec this card requires.

My problem is that now, if I remove the new Radeon board, the pc screws up. When I switch it on after removal the display is ok initially, but during start up the display scrambles & I can’t see what is what. If i put the card back in the display is fine (I’ve done this a couple of times to check it wasn’t a one off). So basically although I can’t get the computer to actually recognise the Radeon card driver or do anything with it, I’ve done something which means the I’ve got to keep it in to get a normal display picture.

Does anyone have any idea why removing a board/driver that doesn't 'seem' to be doing anything, is causing the display from working like it did before I installed it?

ta

I'm guessing you are going back to using the on board GPU on your motherboard? I would try removing the driver for the added ATi card (either from add remove programs, or the device manager), and re downloading and installing the driver for your on board video card - you should be able to get Windows to do this for you from the device manager (right click "computer" > properties > device manager > display adapters > ). Try doing this before taking the Ati card out.

If you still have trouble, boot the computer in safe mode (displaying via the old GPU) and do a similar job while in safe mode.

Cheers for suggestions, got some work to get done today so can't risk stuffing it up, but will have a look Monday evening.

Instead of going for the removal option, if I were to leave the new card in, what are the chances of getting it working if the pc processor doesn't meet minimum specifications? It doesn't have to be functioning fully, just working (ie I don't need it to cope with gaming, HD video, etc, all I want is to be able to use the port for a monitor for work stuff like excel, email, etc. Should these things still function with a lesser processor to a certain extent? ie is the fact I can't get it to work directly because the processor isn't good enough, or could it be other reasons?