A question for EastleighSoulBoy.

hamster

I am going to a Northern Soul concert.

What shall I expect to see and more importantly, what should I wear. I ddo not want to look out of place.

For Northern Soul Nights it is mandatory is wear a Flat Cap (Alan Ball stylee) and have a whippet on a lead and some ferrets down your trousers.

You'll blend in perfectly!!

Do you mean a concert where you'll be listening to a live group or more like a Nighter where you'll dance/listen to the tunes like in a disco?

I'd say to dress how you will, maybe a rockers outfit with greasy leathers would be a give away but what most would wear is a smartly ironed shirt (Ben Sherman, Jaytex, Arnold Palmer) a pair of trousers and decent shoe (leather soles if you are going to be dancing). If it's the first time don't get hung about 'not fitting in' as the crowd are really friendly and welcoming and they'll love explaining things once you get talking.

If you get into the music then ask Baj for my e-mail. Refer him to this post as I give permission for him to do so.

Oh! Don't get drawn into buying vinyl mate as that is like having a mortgage and 3 kids on the go!

Missed your reply esb. Cheers for that

It's a proper 'dance' event, prizes, guest DJs, loafs of real oficianados going apparently.

I've got a genuine Modena Lambretta shirt (target design enamel badges) and mrs h has sewn a couple of discreet patches onto my Parka.

Here're venue is brilliantly suited. It's an old theatre that is actually under consideration as the setting for a new film about the story of Northern Soul.

People are coming from all over the country I heard!

Ill dig out the fb link to the event layer. It's on next Saturday, the 4th.