Overheating

SO16_Saint

You're putting a plaster on a wound. You need to work out why its overheating. Headgasket failiure? Thermostat failiure? cooling fan broken? Could be any of those, get it looked at properly.

Cheers, I'm getting rid of in jan so just need it to hold out til then really

• 4 weeks later...
Cheers, I'm getting rid of in jan so just need it to hold out til then really

If it is overheating due to a partly blown gasket or a cracked head it won't last till then. However there is a remedy that will cure the problem and not be expensive, but you sound as if you don't really want to know about that.

i put in some coolant about a month ago, and nothing has happened since - no warning light, nothing.

If the water level goes down far enough the warning light sensor will be in air instead of water and the warning light may not come on even when the engine is overheating. ( I had a case just like that some years ago)

i put in some coolant about a month ago, and nothing has happened since - no warning light, nothing.

Just a rethink on your comment. If your engine only overheated slightly it may not have been damaged, topping up with coolant to the correct level may have cured the problem, but keep an eye out for the reason that the water level went down in the first place. Things like the water pump shaft seal leaking very slightly, or the water bottle/radiator pressure cap leaking and of course water hoses and connections. It only takes a small leak over time to drop the coolant down to dangerous levels. Antifreeze seems to leak more easily than pure water. Looking out for the antifreeze colour sometimes makes it easier to find the leak. When you are looking for leaks, don't forget that sometimes they occur inside of the car(if the heater matrix is within the passenger compartment)