Non techy view of Lumia 610

dronskisaint

Strange thread for me to post on as I'm usually the one asking both stupid and basic questions...that won't change!

Reason for posting is that after reading and asking for info on a new 'Smart' phone and not really wanting an iphone I elected to try the Nokia Lumia 610...two reasons - I've always had Nokia and have learnt their 'logic' and two - I've used Windows as an operating system in my own limited way for all my, limited, computer life.

For me being a phone was the most important thing so I went to the lower end of the range...company was paying so it wasn't a finance-driven choice.

I've got to say that so far I'm pretty pleased...the menus are logical, the options are easily accessible and when I use the 'computer' aspect (mostly when travelling when the laptop is stowed) it's been fine...does what it's supposed to with out fuss. The camera seems ok (mostly used at St Mary's) so all ok so far.

Things I've struggled with...and please accept that I'm pretty stupid with technology....I can't seem to find many 'apps' that say they work on the Windows system...there may be ways of adapting either Apple, Android or whatever the other ones are but the phone has most things I need so not a major issue. I'd quite like the stolen 'come and find me' thing but couldn't find one that said it worked with this system. Not much else to moan about...I bought a case and will probably buy a screen plastic protector thing as it seems a little vulnerable.

Previous clever phones have all been communicators..N90, E90, N900, E70 etc and I do miss the keyboards but the functions and processes seem much simpler on this so I'm guessing that what I'm saying is that if you were born to be low tech as I apparently was then it's a pretty user-friendly and functional package...I love the way that they've simplified all the bluetooth connecting and directory transferring.

I hope this is useful to anyone who, like me, stands in awe of some of the know-how posted here. Thanks for those who have helped arrive at this decision....someone advised me a couple of years back that the N900 was way too complicated for what I wanted and he was absolutely right and I learnt the lesson...via ignoring it so thanks for trying!

I have the lumia 900 and I'm regretting tieing myself into a 2 year contract on an operating system that is missing a lot of basic things (see "101 reasons not to buy a windows phone" article on the interwebs). They're ok if you don't use it all that much as does everything a phone must do, but if you use your phone as much as I do then it is way below the iPhone or android operating systems.

As for the lost phone feature, this is built in and is in the settings menu (at least it is on mine)...

Interesting to read.

As I will be gifting Dad this very handset on Xmas day I hope he finds it just as easy to cope with. Went for Windows Mobile as he found Android utterly baffling and iOS to be just as much of a mystery.

Incidentally, the lack of apps. The 610 is a handset that is working on a 'tuned down' version of Windows Mobile to cope with the less capable hardware it runs on, this means many apps cannot run on it. A shame really but considering the handset price.......

Having used it myself to set it up, a very impressive device. Windows Mobile is now my OS of choice. It had me considering taking back my S3 and getting the top spec Lumia 920.

After using an S3 you were thinking of going for windows phone?? Wow... Once the novelty of the pretty interface wore off I saw all the flaws in it... As I say though, it's fine if you don't use it all hat much or if you struggle using smart phones.

The S3 is an astonishing device, but i'm sure i'm barely scratching the surface of what it can do.

I would go for the 920 as it would do everything I would want to do and do it superbly and easily. The Zune software has a few little touches I like too. (Immediate downloading of photographs into your pictures folder on sync being an example.)

The S3 is an astonishing device, but i'm sure i'm barely scratching the surface of what it can do.

I would go for the 920 as it would do everything I would want to do and do it superbly and easily. The Zune software has a few little touches I like too. (Immediate downloading of photographs into your pictures folder on sync being an example.)

Fair enough... Just feel there's a lot of tweaking to be done before its close to the S3. Gotta find these things out for ourself though eh :)

All that said, I'm one of the angry few who unknowingly bought a 900 that cannot upgrade to wp 8 so bit bitter there.. As far as I can tell though they haven't correct enough of its downfalls in 8 anyway. At least with Apple or android you don't feel like their beta testers of their work in progress...

I've just got the Lumia 920 and I love it. Been using it for about two weeks and after a few teething problems getting everything synced up, I'm delighted with it.

As a hardned Nokia user (fanboy) I buy Nokia phones for the hardware experience as much as anything else. I put up with Symbian for so long only because my last phone did what no phone can (and still can't) do, take a decent photo (the Nokia N8). Nokia phones are built to last. There is no way, no way in hell, a Samsung Galaxy S3 would last a two year contract with me, it feels cheap and flimsy.

I can only see good things on the horizon for Windows Phone, I love the way the interface is laid out, it is a joy to use. If the lack of apps is a problem for you then I can see why you wouldn't get on with it, but since it has 90 of the top 100 iOS apps on it now, I don't see the problem. Again, as a person who looks at hardware first, apps don't bother me so much. It's got a few good games, it does all the basics right, the web browser is awesome, what more do you want?

I've just got the Lumia 920 and I love it. Been using it for about two weeks and after a few teething problems getting everything synced up, I'm delighted with it.

As a hardned Nokia user (fanboy) I buy Nokia phones for the hardware experience as much as anything else. I put up with Symbian for so long only because my last phone did what no phone can (and still can't) do, take a decent photo (the Nokia N8). Nokia phones are built to last. There is no way, no way in hell, a Samsung Galaxy S3 would last a two year contract with me, it feels cheap and flimsy.

I can only see good things on the horizon for Windows Phone, I love the way the interface is laid out, it is a joy to use. If the lack of apps is a problem for you then I can see why you wouldn't get on with it, but since it has 90 of the top 100 iOS apps on it now, I don't see the problem. Again, as a person who looks at hardware first, apps don't bother me so much. It's got a few good games, it does all the basics right, the web browser is awesome, what more do you want?

Have you taken advantage of the Xbox integration yet?