WiFi problems with iPhone4 / iOS6

trousers

Greetings fellow iPhone users....

I've recently started having a problem with connecting my iPhone over WiFi

If, for example, I fire up Tapatalk to look at this forum, and I'm connected via WiFi, it displays the first thread I select but then if I go to display another thread it tries for a while then gives up. If I then try and access any other internet source (websites, Facebook etc) those don't display either.

The same happens in other apps/browsers - the first time I look something up: fine. Subsequent requests: fail.

If I go into settings and disable/enable Wifi (or 'renew lease' in the WiFi config panel) then I'm able to access the web again.....but only for one time....then we're back to square one...

I've had a quick search on t'internet and there does seem to be a pot pourri of connection problems associated with iOS6 but wondered if there was anyone out there who was having similar issues to mine and had found a solution - or is this a case of waiting for Apple to release a patch to iOS6?

Cue the witty retorts about not owning an iPhone in the first place... ;)

Cheers

Edited by trousers

I had similar issues with WIFI and my iPhone 4. It started with intermittent dropping and then started to just not connect at all. The reset network settings would work for a while and then it would come back.

I eventually found out this is caused by too many WIFI networks broadcasting on the same channel. Each WIFI router can broadcast on any one of the 12 channels. But Sky for example will set all theirs to use Channel 6. In my case, I had a lot of neighbours with Sky WIFI within range of mine and if they were all set to use channel 6 then they can interfere with each other.

I logged onto the wireless router, changed the channel to another number, restarted my iPhone and the problem has never come back.

Your other wireless devices may also need a reboot to pick up the new channel.

I had similar issues with WIFI and my iPhone 4. It started with intermittent dropping and then started to just not connect at all. The reset network settings would work for a while and then it would come back.

I eventually found out this is caused by too many WIFI networks broadcasting on the same channel. Each WIFI router can broadcast on any one of the 12 channels. But Sky for example will set all theirs to use Channel 6. In my case, I had a lot of neighbours with Sky WIFI within range of mine and if they were all set to use channel 6 then they can interfere with each other.

I logged onto the wireless router, changed the channel to another number, restarted my iPhone and the problem has never come back.

Your other wireless devices may also need a reboot to pick up the new channel.

On android I use a free app that displays the current channels in use and suggests which channel to set you router at so I assume there will be something similar for iPhone. Though there are 12 channels they do overlap slightly (i.e. Your channel 6 will interfere with your neighbours channel 7 (and to a lesser extent when there is a gap of 2)) so don't just shift by one.