The morning after the day before...

Dibden Purlieu Saint

Right, we've all had the night to sleep on it and the morning to mull it over in retrospect. Great idea for a thread, DPS. :toppa:

First things first, the team we all love are still the team we should support and I'll be doing that regardless of who is in charge. The only time I didn't was when Branfoot had us playing vile hoofball, and I honestly dont know whether I would have if Redknapp had been re-appointed, which thankfully didn't happen.

The new guy might be hopeless, but he might be fantastic. I imagine he's an unknown quantity to most of us, I never heard of him before yesterday tbph. We need to get behind him and the team in the interests of our club.

BUT....

I remain absolutely dismayed by this move. Nigel Adkins seemed so much like the perfect manager for us, you just cant argue with his record of two promotions in two seasons, or the obvious fact that he had the players and fans so much onside, could any other manager really have turned Jason Puncheon into the motivated top-flight player that he is now? Would any other manager have got the approval ratings of 95%+ on the "good move/bad move" thread yesterday? I really thought Nigel was going to be our Alex Ferguson, here for the long term, learning and growing with the side and giving us long-term stability and consistency. Our best times have always been when we've had a manager for a decent chunk of time, (Bates, Lawrie Mac,) we have always struggled when we chopped and changed at the drop of a hat or tried out "experiments" like the Poortvliedt duo. Nigel clearly was learning from his prem experience, the results have been steadily improving and I felt pretty confident that we would stay up this season, and consolidate the next. Now, I dont know what the hell to expect, or even hope for.

The reaction of fans on other teams' messageboards says it all. Those below us are looking at this with undisguised glee, and those above us are scratching their heads in disbelief. I've had a stream of texts from mates in Stoke, Liverpool, Manchester, Cardiff, Wigan and Blackburn, (and even, dare I say it, from a mate who supports p*mp*y,) none of whom have been able to understand this decision.

Yesterday could be a turning point for the Saints, or it could be a disastrous undoing of everything the club have achieved with Nigel Adkins at the helm. Lets just hope it proves to be the former.

Right, we've all had the night to sleep on it and the morning to mull it over in retrospect. Great idea for a thread, DPS. :toppa:

First things first, the team we all love are still the team we should support and I'll be doing that regardless of who is in charge. The only time I didn't was when Branfoot had us playing vile hoofball, and I honestly dont know whether I would have if Redknapp had been re-appointed, which thankfully didn't happen.

The new guy might be hopeless, but he might be fantastic. I imagine he's an unknown quantity to most of us, I never heard of him before yesterday tbph. We need to get behind him and the team in the interests of our club.

BUT....

I remain absolutely dismayed by this move. Nigel Adkins seemed so much like the perfect manager for us, you just cant argue with his record of two promotions in two seasons, or the obvious fact that he had the players and fans so much onside, could any other manager really have turned Jason Puncheon into the motivated top-flight player that he is now? Would any other manager have got the approval ratings of 95%+ on the "good move/bad move" thread yesterday? I really thought Nigel was going to be our Alex Ferguson, here for the long term, learning and growing with the side and giving us long-term stability and consistency. Our best times have always been when we've had a manager for a decent chunk of time, (Bates, Lawrie Mac,) we have always struggled when we chopped and changed at the drop of a hat or tried out "experiments" like the Poortvliedt duo. Nigel clearly was learning from his prem experience, the results have been steadily improving and I felt pretty confident that we would stay up this season, and consolidate the next. Now, I dont know what the hell to expect, or even hope for.

The reaction of fans on other teams' messageboards says it all. Those below us are looking at this with undisguised glee, and those above us are scratching their heads in disbelief. I've had a stream of texts from mates in Stoke, Liverpool, Manchester, Cardiff, Wigan and Blackburn, (and even, dare I say it, from a mate who supports p*mp*y,) none of whom have been able to understand this decision.

Yesterday could be a turning point for the Saints, or it could be a disastrous undoing of everything the club have achieved with Nigel Adkins at the helm. Lets just hope it proves to be the former.

Well thought out post...

Right, we've all had the night on it and the morning to mull it over in retrospect. Great idea for a thread, DPS. :toppa:

First things first, the team we all love are still the team we should support and I'll be doing that regardless of who is in charge. The only time I didn't was when Branfoot hcoming playing vile hoofball, and I honestly dont know whether I would have if Redknapp had been re-appointed, which thankfully didn't happen.

BUT....

Good post - but just remember one thing. Everything - including giving Adkins a chance in the first place - has been masterminded by Cortese. And he's not been wrong so far. Adkins is in a comfortable place - he's proven himself at the top of English football - he will never need to worry where the next meal is coming from or indeed if his last million might run out. He'll be OK. And hopefully he'll always remember us as fondly as he clearly did his Scunny friends.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM

hmmm. It doesn't look like he just "accepted a job" though does it? He has been happily plotting with Cortese for past few months. You say he is talented' date=' but I would hazard a guess that you hadn't even heard of him before yesterday. No matter how talented he is or isn't, I really fail to see how anybody can lead a group of men whose language he doesn't speak.[/quote']

No, you're right. I hadn't heard of him. But rather than just go off on one like a lot of people on here who are of the opinion that they never heard of him so he must be crap, I went and did some research on the guy. And it seems he's more than well thought of and a talented manager.

And yes, he's known for a while he was taking the job before Adkins was fired. But here's the conversation. NC "I'm going to fire my manager, do you want the job". MP "Yes"

And I don't have a problem with him for that. Because if it wasn't him that replaced Adkins, it would have been someone else.

I agree about him not speaking the language. That's a problem. But lets see how quickly he learns. Lets give him the benefit of the doubt and get behind him and the team, even if we do have a problem with the chairman.