Erdinger

PompeyLass

Any decent Belgian lagers to recommend?

I'm over there this weekend.

Right, here goes....

Duvel - Flemish for Devil. 8.5%, strong, blonde but v.drinkable. Easily available in the UK these days though. Superb beer.

Delirium Tremens - it has pink elephants on the marble bottle but a wonderful, sweetish, fruity 9% ale. Bitter Virtue do it in Soton if you develop a taste for it.

Orval - a amber/deep orange Trappist ale at 6%, a really different flavour but one to savour, particularly when aged.

De Konick - served in a glass called a Bolleke....5%, spicy and not dissimilar to Tim Taylor Landlord in the UK

Westmalle Triple is superb at 9.5% if you like your blond ales.

Bush/Scaldis is a peach, rich ale but needs care at 12%!

Rochefort's Trappist ales are well worth trying. I recommend the Abbey ales from Maredsous too, brewed by Moortgat, the same as Duvel. Tongerlo do some good beers. There is a good wheat beer from Bruges - Brugs Blond.

If you can find any Westerverlen out there I am very jealous! Many trips over there and so rare to see them. Also, look out for the seasonal beers at this time of year - BarBar Dark is a great example.

If you want to bring some back cheaply, try the GB Express behind the Grand Place in Brussels. The best bar in Belgium is in Antwerp, the Kulminator. One of the best pubs in the world IMO.

Bet you go for the Bollock of De Konick

The funny thing is that the barstaff pretend that they don't get the joke but always caution you "not to drop your Bolleke" and suppress a smirk!

I've got a Rochefort 10 from 2005 that should be approaching it's best by now so might have to open that on New Year's Eve. Belgium does some great XMAS seasonal beers with lots of spices.

Brussels.

Nice place, Xmas market in the main square was pretty cool.

The hot wine was most welcome, too!

It's a very good XMAS destination, Grand Place is superb. I really like the Flemish cities - Bruges is a bit touristy if very pretty but Antwerp and Ghent are my favourites.

Right, here goes....

Duvel - Flemish for Devil. 8.5%, strong, blonde but v.drinkable. Easily available in the UK these days though. Superb beer.

Delirium Tremens - it has pink elephants on the marble bottle but a wonderful, sweetish, fruity 9% ale. Bitter Virtue do it in Soton if you develop a taste for it.

Orval - a amber/deep orange Trappist ale at 6%, a really different flavour but one to savour, particularly when aged.

De Konick - served in a glass called a Bolleke....5%, spicy and not dissimilar to Tim Taylor Landlord in the UK

Westmalle Triple is superb at 9.5% if you like your blond ales.

Bush/Scaldis is a peach, rich ale but needs care at 12%!

Rochefort's Trappist ales are well worth trying. I recommend the Abbey ales from Maredsous too, brewed by Moortgat, the same as Duvel. Tongerlo do some good beers. There is a good wheat beer from Bruges - Brugs Blond.

If you can find any Westerverlen out there I am very jealous! Many trips over there and so rare to see them. Also, look out for the seasonal beers at this time of year - BarBar Dark is a great example.

If you want to bring some back cheaply, try the GB Express behind the Grand Place in Brussels. The best bar in Belgium is in Antwerp, the Kulminator. One of the best pubs in the world IMO.

Someone who knows his beer!! (although I notice you sneakily didn't point out that none of them are lagers)

I normally go to Belgium twice a year with Chris Brown's (Bitter Virtue/South Hants CAMRA) trips. Recent one in Nov was to the Bruges Beer Festival. On previous trips we have stopped off at Westvleteren on the way but out of three times I've only ever been able to buy beer to bring back once and even then there was no 12.

A good beer to try is McChouffe, only comes in 75cl bottles though.

Saw Westvleteren on the list in Cambrinus in Bruges but don't know if they had any. About 6 Euros a bottle, not good with the exchange rate.

Someone who knows his beer!! (although I notice you sneakily didn't point out that none of them are lagers)

I normally go to Belgium twice a year with Chris Brown's (Bitter Virtue/South Hants CAMRA) trips. Recent one in Nov was to the Bruges Beer Festival. On previous trips we have stopped off at Westvleteren on the way but out of three times I've only ever been able to buy beer to bring back once and even then there was no 12.

A good beer to try is McChouffe, only comes in 75cl bottles though.

Saw Westvleteren on the list in Cambrinus in Bruges but don't know if they had any. About 6 Euros a bottle, not good with the exchange rate.

Thanks LBS, I was in Bitter Virtue on Sunday by coincidence stocking up for XMAS before having Sunday lunch with the folks who live on the outskirts of Soton. There is supposed to be an excellent beer festival between Antwerp and the Dutch border every March but sadly I can't make it this year. I'll have to settle for Gosport Winterex instead!

Thanks for the tip on McChouffe, will see if Chris and Anne have it in stock next time I go to BV. I'm getting the CAMRA 100 Belgian ales book to try by Tim Webb for XMAS so should get some more hints from in there. Chris told me the new Ascot ales they have in are v.good, will post once I've sampled them!

Thanks LBS, I was in Bitter Virtue on Sunday by coincidence stocking up for XMAS before having Sunday lunch with the folks who live on the outskirts of Soton. There is supposed to be an excellent beer festival between Antwerp and the Dutch border every March but sadly I can't make it this year. I'll have to settle for Gosport Winterex instead!

Thanks for the tip on McChouffe, will see if Chris and Anne have it in stock next time I go to BV. I'm getting the CAMRA 100 Belgian ales book to try by Tim Webb for XMAS so should get some more hints from in there. Chris told me the new Ascot ales they have in are v.good, will post once I've sampled them!

Hi there

Yes, Chris also runs a trip to the one in March at Sint Niklaas

Chris also recommends a beer called Gouden Carolus Hopsinjoor although as you know there's no one beter to ask for advice.

Ascot beers are good, have you tried any Surrey Hills?

Do you ever get in the Guide Dog? Best pub in Southampton!

Hi there

Yes, Chris also runs a trip to the one in March at Sint Niklaas

Chris also recommends a beer called Gouden Carolus Hopsinjoor although as you know there's no one beter to ask for advice.

Ascot beers are good, have you tried any Surrey Hills?

Do you ever get in the Guide Dog? Best pub in Southampton!

Ah yes, had Gouden Carolus at the JDW Festival last month - excellent ale that belies it's 8.5% or so strength.

Haven't tried Surrey Hills so will look out for that, best beer from Surrey I've had is Hogsback's Burma Star Ale - wonderful bottle conditioned beer and a donation goes to the Burma Veterans Association.

Guide Dog used to be my regular pre-match pub until moving to Hayling meant that driving (and parking in Woolston) became my means of getting to games! PM me if you are going to a game over the Festive period or early in the New Year and I'll buy you a jar. What is the Guide Dog selling these days now that Hampshire Brewery is formally kaput?

The Hopsinjoor is a bit different from the standard. The Christmas one is excellent too.

Hogs Back is nice have you tried their 9% one the A over T?

Will be at Forest, Reading and Man U games. Normally get in GD both before and after, will PM you details.

GD always has ESB and Bowman Swift One. Also a range from generally local breweries such as other Bowman beers, Dorset, 1648, Dark Star, Andwell, Ballards, Irving, Palmers, Stonehenge, Triple fff etc

Also has Chimay, Maredsous and Bink from Belgium plus Schneider Weisse.

Edited by La BoIS Saint
Beers