Android apps

Minty

Inspired by pap's recommendation for doubleTwist on the iPhone(!) thread, I wondered what other Android apps others would recommend - for any purpose (within reason!)?

I don't use many (thanks in part to my old phone not being able to handle them particularly well) but always interested to hear about good apps that make something easier/better.

In truth, most of my apps on Android are things I already have on iOS.

TuneIn is a very decent Internet radio player. Would recommend it to both iOS and Android users. Spotify is better on Droid, I reckon. Plume is currently the Twitter client of choice. Also, Tapatalk is well worth getting for forum peeps.

I regularly use these:

AirDroid - wirelessly transfer and sync files between phone and computer.

Amazon App Store - alternative to the Google version. One free app given away every day. Often worthless, sometimes a gem.

Box/Dropbox - cloud storage. If you sign up to Box from a LG phone you get 50GB storage (or at least you used to).

Evernote - cloud note-taking app (text, voice etc.) Can access your content anywhere you can log into your Evernote account.

Google Play Music - Store up to 20,000 songs on your Google account and access your full library anywhere you have a reasonable connection.

HotUKDeals - worth it if you like a bargain hunt. Think you can save common searches and possibly even set up notifications.

Lookout Security and Antivirus - protection (if you need it) but has a few other handy features. Able to locate your phone (if lost or stolen) via GPS. Can also set it up so that if someone enters your PIN/unlock pattern incorrectly several times, the front camera will take a picture of their face and email it!

There's also a couple of decent Wi-Fi apps. BT and Sky both do ones - I've got my Internet at home with Virgin now, but when I was with Sky it entitled me to free use of any TheCloud access point via their app.

These may also be of use:

Netflix - essential if you have a Netflix account.

SopCast - football streaming on the go (you'll need a Wi-Fi connection).

TVCatchup - live terrestrial TV.

Edited by ant