Tore Andre Flo Trial Game 1996

Steve100

In talking to a younger Saints fan of 35 I mentioned Flo had played for us, he didn't believe a word of what I said.

I seem to remember him trialling for us and scoring a hattrick in a reserve game along with Egil Ostenstad.

Souness wanted to sign him but he obviously had a better offer from Chelsea.

Anyone remember this or better still have a link to the game / article? The Echo only goes back to 1998.

Thanks in advance.

In talking to a younger Saints fan of 35 I mentioned Flo had played for us, he didn't believe a word of what I said.

I seem to remember him trialling for us and scoring a hattrick in a reserve game along with Egil Ostenstad.

Souness wanted to sign him but he obviously had a better offer from Chelsea.

Anyone remember this or better still have a link to the game / article? The Echo only goes back to 1998.

Thanks in advance.

I don't necessarily remember a Hatrick, but I remember Flo being over for training. I recall Souness had a load of players over for trials at around the same time.

I don't recall the reserve game but there is a quote from Souness in the Saints and Sinners book by Graham Hiley. It says we gave Tore Andre Flo, along with Ostenstad, a trial and Saints didn't have enough money, the deal became complicated and so he signed for Chelsea.

His sister was at Uni in Southampton as I met her the night we beat Man U 6-3 (she was with her boyfriend who was a mate of Claus's). Amusingly she was introduced as Jostein Flo's sister as Tore Andre was pretty much unknown then. Anyway, there was therefore a little connection to Southampton as NI Saint says, Souness did want him.

At the time I also remember reading they any deal with his club was complicated as they wanted to wait until the end of the Norwegian season before considering selling, ( more likely that they wanted to await better offers) and Saints desperately needed reinforcements so we went with Egil O. By the time we resumed interest in Flo Chelsea were also bidding and we couldn't match Matthew Harding's spending on wages.