RIP Motty

cloggy saint

Very sad, a great guy. Nice little story i read from Jake Humphery earlier today

As it’s announced that legendary British sports commentator, John Motson, has died, here is a brief story about his impact on me I wanted to share…

I’ll never forget being a wet behind the ears, and rather nervous reporter for BBC Sport at the Euros in Vienna in 2008. One evening I found myself in the bar with Motty. He bought me a drink and we took a seat in the corner.

He was immediately interested in me, my career, and what I wanted to do. I then asked him his one piece of advice. “Work harder than you ever think you need to” be said.

He then proceeded to tell me that, despite being at umpteen tournaments and covering hundreds of games, he’d just visited the stadium where he’d commentate on a game the following evening.

He went solely to get an understanding of what the view was like from the comm position. He then proceeded to show me his notes, his planning, his prep. It was like nothing I’d ever seen. John would have been 63 at the time, yet wasn’t even remotely relying on his ability & experience.

There was no resting on his laurels. He was preparing for that game as if it was his first. Eye-opening, fascinating, grounding, chastening, and hugely important for this 29 year old keen to make his mark in sports broadcasting.

I then asked him his one mistake. “Not enough time with my family and my son” he said. At the time I had no kids and the significance of that comment didn’t dawn on me for another 5 years.

However, I now know exactly what he was talking about. Every time I get in from a game at 3am, rather than plumping for a night in a hotel, it’s thanks to John. Every time I ‘over-prep’ for a game, and make notes I never get round to using...its thanks to John. Every time I give my advice or learnings to the next generation of broadcasters, it’s because John did that for me.

Motty has impacted so many lives, has brought such joy and captured seminal sporting moments perfectly. Yet he has also directly impacted how I live my life. So to you reading this, remember that. The smallest gesture from you can have the biggest impact on someone else’s life…

So, thanks Motty. From me, my kids...and everyone you’ve made smile...RIP X

• Like 1