Saints Best International Performers

Lighthouse

Just watching Pelle this evening got me thinking about which Saints players performed particularly well for their country, even if they were never the best players for us.

Anders Svensson has to be the prime example. 148 caps for an outfield player is quite incredible (23 more than Shilton), not to mention his fantastic free kick to dump the Argies out of the 2002 World Cup.

Agustin Delgado is another, having arrived with a big reputation following some excellent performances for Ecuador.

Steven Davis has been the N. Ireland captain on and off for 9 years now and has topped it off with those 2 goals to send them to France next summer.

Sorry, I didn't really phrase it too clearly.

I meant guys who'd excelled for their country without necessarily playing as well for Saints. I agree that Pelle isn't a good example of this as he has been as good for us as Italy, it just got me thinking about other internationals.

Well, there's usually a positive relationship.Anders wasn't bad for us, but somehow very, very good for Sweden.Delgado just couldn't adapt to England. That was a weird one.Otherwise, being good for Saints and being good for your country are pretty well correlated. The only other one that springs to mind is Neil McCann - wasn't he quite good for Scotland but utterly rubbish for us?