Scrapping the retirement age

CB Saint

I am not sure how I feel about this

On one hand someones age should not determine whether you are fit to do your job, however I can foresee problems where old employees who start to lose their faculties are subjected to the indignity of being disciplined for not doing the job well enough.

Then will employers be forced to take their age into account and make allowances.

Its the right thing to do, but a can of worms none the less

I mentally prepared myself for dropping dead whilst still working ages ago. Its going to happen, everyone should deal with it. Anyway, I reckon I'd get bored or throttle the wife if I were at home...

However, it means I get incandescent when I see the blue-rinse brigade bleating about the size of their pension, when half of them havent even contributed their whole lives and most of it is funded from the current work force's NI contributions. Especially as a lot of them got to draw their final salary pensions and will continue to do so whilst the schemes they are in cut the benefits to those still not retired.

Maybe Logan's Run had the right idea...

I mentally prepared myself for dropping dead whilst still working ages ago. Its going to happen, everyone should deal with it. Anyway, I reckon I'd get bored or throttle the wife if I were at home...

However, it means I get incandescent when I see the blue-rinse brigade bleating about the size of their pension, when half of them havent even contributed their whole lives and most of it is funded from the current work force's NI contributions. Especially as a lot of them got to draw their final salary pensions and will continue to do so whilst the schemes they are in cut the benefits to those still not retired.

Maybe Logan's Run had the right idea...

Soylent Green for lunch?

Obviously those who WANT (I understand there are those who need to work for financial reasons) to work beyond retirement age are clearly mental (seriously, which freak would WANT to continue working) and on top of that, it also causes unemployment amongst the younger generation who can't apply for what would be vacant positions.

I certainly think they should raise it a tad, even if a few more people do drop dead whilst working. There's something I find quite disturbing about getting to a certain age and your boss saying, "thank's for everything, now go home and wait to die." Maybe I just don't hate my job enough or I'm not old enough.