Disgusting

dune

I'd assume that the day his paid employment ceased his widow's pension would kick in, no? No different to any other occupation in that respect?

It's disgraceful. It's not about the money. It is an insult. His family have raised thousands for his old regiment and for help for heroes and this is how they are thanked.

Course it isn't an insult dune, impersonal, I'll give you that but it has nought to do with them raising money either, it is about their emotions, which I can fully understand.Hacks using their sons memory to prolong their suffering. that's what I dislike.

I don't understand the problem. Presumably he's been paid for the work he did? It's a shame he was given too much in error and they had to correct it, but it's nothing sinister.

Are you suggesting people should be paid additional amounts when they die, in which case how much since this is effectively a 'death bonus'? Should people who die one day into a new month get a greater 'death bonus' than those who die at the end of a month? Why not pay up to the end of the year? Or to the end of a decade?

it sounds like the MOD accountant was perfectly correct.

But incredibly insensitive and stupidly unaware of the PR damage caused by the clumsy handling of it.

What gets me about these types of decision is that it wasn't 'the MOD' who handled this poorly, it was a human being - someone actually sat there one day and thought to themselves, 'shall I tell the family we have deducted money because their kid was killed?'...and they decided it was quite clear, he was dead, he didn't work the hours he was supposed to - rules are rules, must let them know.

Perhaps the individual concerned may consider the enormous PR damage next time for the sake of £400 - the tabloids must think it's Christmas, they didn't even have to make this one up.

So yes, technically correct decision but appallingly dealt with - shot themselves in the foot then reloaded and did the other one.

There is an old adage that rally drivers have one accident a year to remind them where the limit is - in that tradition I try to agree with Dune once a year if I can. :p

Think that might be twice now, but it is October.

Hmmmm, it depends whether we want to run our finances on moral grounds or economic grounds. Times are tight and money is low and I know which way my heart would want this to go, but I also know the general attitude which would mean a better and more efficiently run service, which after all is what the Tories are bleating on about. It's a tough call.