Kitchen part 2

Dr Who?

Well I managed to get all the tiles off of my kitchen, and when I say it is a large job I cannot explain the kitchen to you. It was covered top to bottom in tiles, not just a few around the sink area, and the kitchen is huge.

Was a little bit worried about the kitchen window, as the fitting of the window overlapped the tiles, so I was unsure if I should get the whole tile out from this area???

Now I am going to prepare it for painting, and will put new tiles around the sink area only.

The walls are 100% not ready for painting, so do I need to sand it and skim it? I think the area I need to tile will be fie for tiling but want to get the rest of the kitchen ready for painting.

As it has been pointed out, I have nt done many projects like this, but am really enjoying it. I would love to see someone who is not n acocountant do my job, and how much of a mess they make of it. But this is half the fun, I am trying to save money and it might take me a bit longer as it is not my day job, but it will be perfect and I will have money in the bank for my family holiday.

But of course I need advice!!

Only you will know if the walls need skimming when you have rubbed them all down and got all the carp off. With kitchens an important thing before painting is to make sure the walls are perfectly clean as the room is going to have contrasts in temperature and alot of moisture you will get cracks in the paint if it isn't adhered to the wall properly. I'm no painter and decorater just going by what I have been told has caused the cracking in my kitchen but as a tradesmen I have learnt a few bits and bobs about decorating so will try and help with what I can offer. I brought our house just over a year ago and have only really had the money to do our 2 girls rooms and loved doing that. Can't wait to hit the rest of the house, just need the funds in order to do so.

Only you will know if the walls need skimming when you have rubbed them all down and got all the carp off. With kitchens an important thing before painting is to make sure the walls are perfectly clean as the room is going to have contrasts in temperature and alot of moisture you will get cracks in the paint if it isn't adhered to the wall properly. I'm no painter and decorater just going by what I have been told has caused the cracking in my kitchen but as a tradesmen I have learnt a few bits and bobs about decorating so will try and help with what I can offer. I brought our house just over a year ago and have only really had the money to do our 2 girls rooms and loved doing that. Can't wait to hit the rest of the house, just need the funds in order to do so.

Yes the funds are always the problem. We have another baby on the way and if not here by Monday then my wife will be induced, so early next week the latest.

Have mainly put together flat pack, but have also done the nursery and it looks brilliant. All of a sudden I am enjoying doing the DIY, rather than paying through the nose, and yes it takes me longer, but this gap between Christmas and New Year, and then paternity leave gives me a large chunk of time to get this sort of thing done.

After the kitchen, it will be the bathroom, but then a downstairs toilet, which someone else will do, and then a conservatory. This is over the next year though, so a lot going on.

I need a hood for my cooker as well, but it is not on an outside wall, so will buy one, but someone else will need to fix it. Also have. A small leak around the bath that li need to fill, or this will become a bigger problem.

I am really enjoying the planning and the work, and it keeps me busy!!

I am going to sand the walls first, and then have a go at skimming, but not sure it will work, and if not may need to get someone in for that part of the project.

Yes the funds are always the problem. We have another baby on the way and if not here by Monday then my wife will be induced, so early next week the latest.

Have mainly put together flat pack, but have also done the nursery and it looks brilliant. All of a sudden I am enjoying doing the DIY, rather than paying through the nose, and yes it takes me longer, but this gap between Christmas and New Year, and then paternity leave gives me a large chunk of time to get this sort of thing done.

After the kitchen, it will be the bathroom, but then a downstairs toilet, which someone else will do, and then a conservatory. This is over the next year though, so a lot going on.

I need a hood for my cooker as well, but it is not on an outside wall, so will buy one, but someone else will need to fix it. Also have. A small leak around the bath that li need to fill, or this will become a bigger problem.

I am really enjoying the planning and the work, and it keeps me busy!!

I am going to sand the walls first, and then have a go at skimming, but not sure it will work, and if not may need to get someone in for that part of the project.

The cooker hood, you want a full on extractor? We Just have a hood with filters as our cooker is on the wall between the kitchen/lounge.

The cooker hood, you want a full on extractor? We Just have a hood with filters as our cooker is on the wall between the kitchen/lounge.

I think just a filter one would be better, as like you our cooker backs onto the lounge. We have not had one for a year, but the top and sides of the cupboards are very greasy. I think I will look in B&Q tomorrow.

Bloody hell, I feel knackered just reading all that. You are re-doing the kitchen yourself and another baby due Monday. I think Ill go have a lie down ;-)

Yeah jonnyboy, just hit home that we are not going to be moving from here for a long time, so let's make it how I want it. The conservatory and downstairs toilet I will not be doing ;-)

The thing with my DIY is it (stereotypically) always throws up more problems you hadnt thought of. Eg in the summer I ripped up my front rooms floorboards (which nearly killed me) and then, grrrrrr, sawed through a hot water pipe to the radiator! - I got wet. Luckily the nice plumber came very quickly.

Anyways - good luck!