Plasma TVs - the end is nigh

TopGun

Knew it would happen. But what are they going to do about these DAB radios then..? They consume upto 20 times as much electricity as the equivalent FM/AM radio.

Oh dear. Digital can be costly. ;)

I had a wind up radio being the eco warrior that i am but unfortunately during a recent power cut i overwound it and the spring ****ed up.:(

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
Not being up on TV's, what is the most modern type at the moment? Is Plasma already old hat? Was it the Plasma ones that would burn logos into your screen in the top corners such as Sky One etc or even burn parts of stationary games into them?

No, that was the good old CRT. Stationary images caused the electron beam to burn off the phosphor on the screen.

So is Plasma the most up to date type of TV then? Is there an alternative around already that is as good?

I am not a TV nerd, but apparantly LCD is also very popular. According to the bloke in Currys many prefer it to plasma, but there are also many who prefer plasma to LCD.

On average LCD tv's consume less power than plasma regardless of size.

Being in the trade i find it rather strange that plasma tv's will get fazed out because of power consumption,as most manufacturers let it be known about 3-4 years ago that they did not view plasma as the future and it would all end up LCD or a variant of it.