-
Posts
2,243 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Everything posted by gio1saints
-
I agree. He needs to do a lot more. That’s why I said he’s not there yet.
-
I was surprised to hear that Ramsdale’s initiation into the team is to perform at least six keepy uppy’s in his six yard box before volleying it direct to one of our players for a completed pass ( can be any of our players but it must be a volley or half volley) at some point during the Brentford match. This is an unusual initiation rite and I can’t say I’m not concerned that it might lead to an outbreak of similar such frivolities elsewhere on the pitch later today. Mateus is on for three nutmegs required if he starts for instance. It’s not the football I used to play
-
Quite. Sam’s goal v Cardiff was a thing of startling beauty. And we have scored a fair few of those. Adam Armstrongs Winner at Wembley being the ultimate example of what that soporific pass pass game can deliver. I think Ive seen more beautiful goals in one season last year than in last ten previous. If that’s what soporific gives then I’m all in for it.
-
Separate answer on that though : I previously was involved in managing world class professional athletes. One thing I enjoyed (and was surprised at) was how different there characters could be out of competition. Some of them relished absolutely destroying opponents - and some in particular actually loved to grind them into pieces. But out of competition pleasant as you like. With the way Saints make the opposition run I recognise an element of comparable brutality there - I think RM is absolutely ruthless and literally wants his opponents to be weeping piles of sweat at match end having been beasted for 100 minutes chasing chasing chasing his players, fruitlessly. Many Saints fans see him as not that - and all that endless passing irks - then add in his vegetarianism and Buddhist beliefs and they take a dislike. But oh no- the bloke is super tough & has the courage to appear vulnerable. A big man indeed and a worthy leader.
-
I was more referring to his sense of humour and banter value apparent with his players.
-
I think Russell is great. A fucking great big breath of fresh air. He is the best fun Manager we’ve had since Strachan and I’m hoping his brand of football- with Saints- becomes revered around the world. I reserve the right to exercise my sense of humour and parody him though should he continue to play the U formation with no attacking allowed or that Russian Roulette 4 passes to the goalie per match in his 6 yard box game rule he has insisted upon ( that’s not true btw).
-
Ah. I’m sorry. I did not realise you own the talking bollocks franchise on here. Duly noted.
-
Agreed. But obviously the thinking is that Archer can and will be tried to do it, or that we will not play like we did v Forest ever again, and /or our mf especially Dibling and Mateus to fill that space in penalty area. Or a combo including trying out BBD and AA at times in that central focus position rather than exclusively wide. And if all those fail then we have Tall Paul. And of course the return of that injured other CF we bought. Last resort it’s a Jan window buy. So there are options I guess although not entirely satisfactory but can’t have it all!
-
It’s occurred to me that Russell Martin is being softly marketed by SR as a golden hen coach. Players, especially young players, who have been trained by RM and his team are not just standard players. They have the ( marketing spiel) “added value” of being fully immersed in total, absolute hardcore, PB football. Just like certain Managers have become renowned for a certain style of play - Bielsa is a good example - Brand RM is for anyone out there wants a player who has certain automatic ball possession, physical capability, footballing courage & IQ and on field positional awareness characteristics ( to name but a few required to play PB football the way RM wants). SR want saints to win - but it’s certainly another money spinner if RM becomes renowned as a good teacher. He has not earned that accolade yet, but seems to me SR very much hoping he does cos even if we lose they win by the inflated fees the RM trained players may command.
-
Yiu are right. Getting insurance against Bubonic plague costs an arm and a leg. 😇
-
I don’t think we are going to win the league. Based on this Transfer window. BUT we might win most passes without a goal/ shot on target. And in my opinion these categories of achievement have been chronically undervalued. When you look at who they vote for Premier League Manager of the Year I bet you they don’t look at crucial data like that- wether or not we get Cornet or Wee Man back in the team.
-
I’ve said it before- these professionals should get themselves certified medically a week ahead of deadline day by an approved reputable FA listed medical authority. Certificate in hand it speeds things up, easy to insert a nul and void if he’s broken his legs in the last week or contracted Bubonic Plague that nobody knew about clause as well.
-
Why have you, in both example formations placed forwards in the penalty area (indeed in your second formation there are TWO! ) This is quite clearly discussed and trained relentlessly in practice. No standing in the penalty area. It’s like five a sides no stepping in the penalty area. How on earth can saints be expected to break the World Record for most passes without a shot on target if you put someone in the penalty area - clearly we will be overrun in midfield and there’s no chance of beating that “ most passes without a shot on target” Guinness Book of Records metric (MPWASOT for those in the biz).
-
ATM our CF option is Archer or Archer or Archer. At a push it’s Archer. With AA on the right and BBD on the left. And that one not Archer who is injured. And the very Tall one not allowed to play because…of a reason ( it’s cos he is too tall). Sometimes either of those two players can pretend they are the CF too - until RM scowls at them and tells them to leave those CB’s alone and stop bumping into Archer. Oh, and if our MF can get into the penalty area then it’s one of them is our CF. And they must also remember not to bump into Archer. Or the others in the physio lounge. This is a good plan. Except Archer will be mostly on the bench so some of our players gonna be way out of position if they keep bumping into him. Also of note is the Helpline number Saints are thoughtfully providing for Centre backs and goalkeepers visiting St Mary’s this season : “ Feeling lonely? Nobody to talk to? The game passing you by and you are not getting a touch?” Phone 0208 338 dial-friend- and one of our trained volunteers will, in a non judgemental way, talk you through why it’s ok not to see the ball or required to run or do a save in a match at St Mary’s if you are the opposition centre back or goalkeeper. It’s them NOT you that’s the issue. So don’t put yourself down. Registered charity number SR2024.
-
Interesting point. IF palace sell there too CB they may come in for one of ours. Jan the favourite but ABK not a bad alternate shout. IF that happened I reckon any bid over £15-£20m and either are gone. Less for Jan.
-
If I was Brentford after watching Saints v forest I might be tempted to play with a keeper, 2 full backs, 1 CB (he can chat to the keeper if he gets bored and lonely) 4 MF’s and 3 attackers. The ball is not going anywhere near the penalty spot is it so just push up. The not so secret plan is to Wait for the inevitable passing around the six yard box fuck up and take it from there. 😂🥳
-
Didn’t they get knocked out of Europe last night? Will that make them less or more willing to spend on TP now they only have domestic league to think about?
-
Extra 10 points for being unnecessarily rude to a fellow Saints fan. ✅ You could have said you disagreed with my comment but you had to make it personal didn’t you. Cheers. Appreciate your opinions also. Players who can play that modern wingback position - like Cornet can - or his ilk - as I said - are no doubt on the radar. Not Sry if that offends you.
-
We let Shea go with barely a murmur from Saints fans. We will probably let Kameldeen go and im guessing there’d be the same non reaction. I dare say sending out Sam Edozie on a good loan would actually be positively applauded. But KWP? He is a different level altogether. Our best player in first two matches. Our best player last season. Him leaving is a MASSIVE decision. That is the primary reason we are looking at Cornet ~ and players of his ilk ~ players who can play that KWP modern wingback flexible position that Lee effing Carsley so helpfully advertised. Id say the chances are that Juan Larios will also get loaned out - with no disquiet indeed applause - because otherwise what was the point of putting him in the shop window I mean on the pitch for 24 seconds the other night at end of match? As per ABK it was clearly a “I’m Saints fit and available “ piece of advertising.
-
If we get Cornet I think Sam Edozie will get loaned out.
-
Defoe-esque. Hopeful he can score as many for ys as that lad did in his career.
-
If they ALL do that recycling with zero threat we will go down whoever is playing.
-
Because I’m sentimentally loyal to the players that got us up and just feel it would be tough to ditch Will in particular, before he’s had a fair chance at the EPL - which he has earned imo. You are on the side of making ruthless decisions and it’s probably the more winning way overall. But it’s not all that loving and does not feel Saintsy to me. Respect that pov of course. I think JWP starts in our best 11 and certainly is in our best 16. Do I think it’s a good idea? Probably on balance not. He can rejoin next year if we are relegated. Glad I’m not RM. Or am I ?😎
-
Yes he does do that when playing as the 6. So We have two others already able for that ( Flynn and Les) . Question is : You think Will, Joe and Flynn will out-score him from MF this season same games played? I don’t. Add Adam Lallana and big Les to that list. Mateus is an unknown as is Tyler and I think those two will both score - but over 7/8 goals ? - love that to be true. JWP is nailed on for 6/7/8 goals at this level imo - let alone assists and more if he refinds his free kick mojo. Not even including pens. Don't want to lose Joe or Will but I’m a Saints fan wants goals from this team and he’s got some goals in his boots for sure. Plus who doesn’t want to see him break the free kick record with a Saints shirt on?
-
Agree. But if you are leaving your North East club in next 36 hours you’d normally be hanging around near your club in order to attend the required medical for whoever asks about you. Him travelling down south suggests he thinks if there’s any medical happening he needs be down here for it.
