If you are thinking about going to Orlando

OldNick

If you are thinking about going to Orlando and have never been, I think that you should consider some of the costs that you may not know of.

I have just arrived back and seen a big rise in the cost of food since we last went there about 18months ago.

You will of course be bombarded with fast food outlets and restaurants. It seems to me that now the price of food in the fast food restaurants is about the same as it is here, but you then have to add 6 1/2% tax and then the expected service tip of 18-22%

Add to that the hotels can charge around $22 a night for parking, and the joke that Disney also charge $22 to park.

Whilst it is not the end of the world for me, if you are going on a limited budget these costs really can make a difference.

It is a great place to visit but take care you budget for these unexpected charges that we don't really get here.

Clothes and stuff like Nike trainers are a lot cheaper than here , unless they are British and other European makes. If you havent been it is fun although the parks are busy all year round now. Even in Feb when it used to be a little quieter. Animal Kingdom has become really busy as the Avatar part has really drawn massive crowds in.

My preference would be the Universal Parks, where its a little less hectic but the rides etc are a bit more up to date.

Apparently Universal is going to open in Spain, only 2 hours flight which is much better

USA nowhere near the same value as it used to be on a tourist level. $/ £ ratio pretty weak, most of my $ goes on boozing/ eating out when working over there, don't expect to pay less that $6/ $7 a pint (plus $1 tip) for anything decent (bud light and that ***T $3 or $4 on draft). Happy hours are your friend here, the yanks go bonkers for them ($5 drafts + that $1 tip don't forget). Biggest robbery though is their pints are approx 10% smaller than ours so you'll fly through them!

Eating out anywhere half decent in NYC/ Boston/ LA/ Vegas etc is comparable with London. If steaks your thing it's a lot more expensive, however a lot better (IMO). Personally I sit at a bar for hours, get completely smashed and munch on dollar oysters at happy hour whilst doing my best to avoid talking to the locals.

The tax thing is annoying but you get used to it, only hits me on the last day before travelling home when I panic and realise I need to get the missus something so hit Victoria's Secret (way cheaper than back home fellas, fill ya boots) or the shops round SoHo (some good bars/ pizza places there to head to once the duty bit has been done).

Top 5 New York Areas to go boozing:

1: Greenpoint (loads of decent rooftop bars and the view of Manhattan better than being in it)

2: Bushwick (world class street art and world class bar/ pizza scene)

3: Lower East Side (yeah pretty studenty etc but the again the best part of a city is usually the student, also great for sports bars on a Sunday to get stick into all day happy hours and chicken wings)

4: Bed Sty (beautiful brownstones, home of Biggie Smalls, proper community feel, great parks, streets always buzzing and a tonne of decent dive bars)

5: West Village (purely for Bleecker St, take your pick round there)

http://www.thrillist.com the bible for a young(ish) fella/ couple like me/ the missus with little/ zero intention of doing standard tourist stuff and instead want to booze your lives away

BTW if any New York Saints can recommend a decent boozer to watch the football in that would be great?

Usually go to a place called the Banter Bar near Metropolitan Avenue in Williamsburg. Decent scran and a good selection on draft (one thing the yanks are light years ahead of us on is beer, even the most basic dive bar will have 15+ different keg draft beers, regularly 30+) but generally full of Tarquins and Tristans that support Arsenal, work in Finance and have emigrated from the home counties.

USA nowhere near the same value as it used to be on a tourist level. $/ £ ratio pretty weak, most of my $ goes on boozing/ eating out when working over there, don't expect to pay less that $6/ $7 a pint (plus $1 tip) for anything decent (bud light and that ***T $3 or $4 on draft). Happy hours are your friend here, the yanks go bonkers for them ($5 drafts + that $1 tip don't forget). Biggest robbery though is their pints are approx 10% smaller than ours so you'll fly through them!

Eating out anywhere half decent in NYC/ Boston/ LA/ Vegas etc is comparable with London. If steaks your thing it's a lot more expensive, however a lot better (IMO).

One of my daughters had a steak and that was $40 (loews Hotel), she said it was good,

#FirstWorldProblems

TBF he wasn't exactly comparing it to Malawian children dying of A.I.D.S.

On a slight tangent, we went to Disneyland Paris last year and they've basically just plastered a bunch of Star Wars posters, stickers and music over Space Mountain. The ride itself was still decent but that part of it was pretty naff.

One of my daughters had a steak and that was $40 (loews Hotel), she said it was good,

Sounds about right. When you add on some fries, asparagus and whatever else, plus some decent red wine it's generally a minimum $100 a head, easy. That said the cuts you can get over there are outstanding, bone in rib eye man myself.... Obviously not sure if the Malawian kids can afford the sides but hey, white privilege gotta privilege etc etc

Go to Fort Lauderdale at Spring break - not a family holiday though.

I did go to Orlando when travelling around the states a while back. Genuinely don’t get how families are so keen to have a whole holiday of theme parks. The odd day yes but each to their own. There maybe more there now of course.