Liverpool fans in home seats

manina-pub

Away fans in home areas happens at every game, obviously with the clubs with the largest fan base will have more. In contrast i was at Twickenham on Saturday for the Rugby Premier League Game between Bath and Bristol (local rivals), 62,000 fans absolutely no segregation and no trouble. The West Car park is one huge party with both sets of fans drinking together before and after the match. I await the middle class jibes from those who have never been to a first class rugby match. Both Bath and Bristol supporter base is founded in the working class of those cities, of Baths 9 Junior Clubs, 4 are State School Old Boys Clubs, 1 is all that is left of Baths biggest heavy industry company, Stothert and Pitt, 3 represent specific districts and the final one is a Public School Old Boys. The same is true of the many Bristol Junior Clubs. It is not that the people are different it is that the cultures of the two games produces a different mind set even in the same people. I love both games, and if i could only choose one to watch it would be football, but I would miss the friendliness and social aspects of big rugby games.

Think you're confusing things. It's not so much that football fans are less friendly or sociable than rugby fans (christ a scouser even shared a drink and some crisps on the train down the game). It's that there is an expectation, even convention that as an away fan you show some respect if you happen to be in the home end. Anger arises when people are flagrantly flouting this convention. It's not one that exists in rugby or other sports as far as I know.

When did your old man go to his first Saints match? He must have seen Ted Bates play!

Early thirties, he left Southampton in 1948, after that only manages a couple of games a season. Last game at St Mary’s 2014. He did Ted Bates his boyhood hero was Ted Drake