Organic Fortnight

Johnny Shearer

I barely registered the fact that it is Organic Fortnight and I work in the Organic food trade!

So I was just wondering whether people have gone organic or others have switched back to normal foods due to cost cutting and general preference?

Oh and if anyone wants cracking organic meat pies let me know. Can do you a good deal! :D

I barely registered the fact that it is Organic Fortnight and I work in the Organic food trade!

So I was just wondering whether people have gone organic or others have switched back to normal foods due to cost cutting and general preference?

Oh and if anyone wants cracking organic meat pies let me know. Can do you a good deal! :D

Ah so you answered your own question then - can't sell the "organically surcharged" pies because demand has fallen because everyone shops at Lidl's...

Now there's an idea - give Aldi a call if it's that good a deal

:-)

We buy quite a lot of organic stuff. The difference is really noticeable in fruit 'n veg and, strangely, milk. Oh, and eggs too.

I think we'll continue to do so as long as we can afford to.

Just lately I've started buying organic clothes for my new granddaughter. I can't see or feel a real difference in the quality but it salves my conscience :)

Rather than operate from the top end of the spectrum by buying organic I have cut my cloth and have eradicated the real ****e from the bottom end of the market - no ready meals, stuff clearly rammed with additives etc. It seems a more effective way of doing things.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
We buy quite a lot of organic stuff. The difference is really noticeable in fruit 'n veg and, strangely, milk. Oh, and eggs too.

I think we'll continue to do so as long as we can afford to.

Just lately I've started buying organic clothes for my new granddaughter. I can't see or feel a real difference in the quality but it salves my conscience :)

I have a friend who was a very senior civil servant in DEFRA, in charge of the milk division.

Apparently, over 95% of milk in the UK is organic but is sold as standard purely because the public, in the main, won't pay the extra for milk labelled as organic. So, in fact, most of us drink organic milk yet don't know it or pay the premium either.

I have a friend who was a very senior civil servant in DEFRA, in charge of the milk division.

Apparently, over 95% of milk in the UK is organic but is sold as standard purely because the public, in the main, won't pay the extra for milk labelled as organic. So, in fact, most of us drink organic milk yet don't know it or pay the premium either.

I'd guess the only non-organic milk is where fertilisers from surrounding fields have washed across. Farmers are not going to fertilise grass are they?

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
I'd guess the only non-organic milk is where fertilisers from surrounding fields have washed across. Farmers are not going to fertilise grass are they?

Precisely, and in a similar vein, virtually all mushrooms and yoghurt is organic.

:shock:

I've been had :D

Thanks DSM - I'll go back to the 'unorganic' (is there such a word?)

Ah so you answered your own question then - can't sell the "organically surcharged" pies because demand has fallen because everyone shops at Lidl's...

Now there's an idea - give Aldi a call if it's that good a deal

:-)

Ha ha, actually we can - just building the infrastructure now so that we can supply the boys as they are keen. :)

To be honest I didn't really care if something was organic or not organic before I started at my current place. But I have tried various foods and they do taste different but are much more expensive.

However I do go for organic foods now when people come over or when friends want something a little bit better. Other than that its normal food all the way.

Organic foods was on a roll up to last year but the way this year has been going, it'll be interesting to see whether people cut back or not.